1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best budget fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Thinking of learning fretless. What is the best budget fretless that you guys know of (lined fretboard either 4 or 5 string)? I am aware of the Squier fretless which I quite like and Ibanez Gary Willis 5 fretless (budget version). Anything besides that?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'll start. No such thing as "best"

That said, what fretted bass are you currently playing? Do you like it? How 'bout the fretless version of that bass if it exists?

Be aware that any and all "budget" instruments... especially fretless... need to be properly set up by an experienced luthier... otherwise the fretless experience might be not all that it should be. So just add that fee to what you're wanting to spend.

3. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Don't know about best but Squire vintage modified fretless can be had between 2 and 300. Definitely fits the budget part of the question

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Do you mean best for metal or Jazz?

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The Ibanez SR370M/SR375M are new models but they look to be good budget fretless basses.

Ken

6. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    The Cort Curbow is a great little fretless bass. I've played several, and all of them had good quality, low action, and a wonderful mwah. Probably due to the ebonol fingerboard.

Squier, Ibanez and Yamaha all make good quality budget fretless basses. So go with what you feel comfortable with. If you have to buy sight unseen, I guess either of these basses could be hit or miss, as every bass in this price range can. :)

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Got my hands on this guy.
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/427530.html
    I like the Curbow also. Shouldn't be hard to find a used one cheap. It's an odd duck though. Tiny body, plasticy fretboard. Overall the ones I have played felt pretty good though.

8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  9. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Driftwood; has more mojo.

Sorry for my silly remarks, really just subscribing to the thread. I figure lots of feedback on ebanol will surface. That's my interest in this thread.....

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
  12. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I tried quite a few last year. I preferred the Fender Standard fretless JB over the Squier, though it costs $150 more. I almost liked thre sound better than the more expensive Jaco tribute I chose. The Squier fingerboard is ebanol resin and some say it gets quite sticky in the heat. Something to think about.