Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best build quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Apr 19, 2001.

1. We have had a couple of polls on amps recently. So why not have another.

Now, I know SWR and Eden have a good reputation for building their amps properly. I know from personal experience that Marshall are shaming themselves. Fender's build quality has improved drastically since the 80s. Crate has the reputation of being the best of the cheapies.

But which brand is simply the best made?

2. I have found that the build quality on the marshall combo I had was fine, a few of my friends have marshall tube amps & they seem to be well built also, but I think that of the amps I've been able to check out recently Ashdown have excellent quality, Trace Elliott are great also.

Stu

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I do some work on my amps and I'd say that the best build quality I have ever seen is Walter Woods, but it's handmade.

As far as mass production amps, SWR is probably the best I've seen to date (never been inside a Trace or Ashdown), but a lot of the difference between an SWR and a Crate (which I don't care for, Peavey is actually much better made) is just better choice in components (metal pots and jacks instead of plastic, for instance).

4. I've never had a Woods apart, actually i've never seen one. I think Aguilars are built quite well. I'd agree that SWR are probably the best of the mass produced lot, although the components in the SM-500 seemed to be cheaper than the ones in my old Studio 220, and I haven't heard great things about the Mo'Bass (but I can't pass judgement until I've seen one). I don't think Eden's are built particularly well (they do use good components though) and as for Crate...... which unfortunately is beginning to trickle down to Ampeg these days. Never inside and Ahsdown either. Peavey's are built quite well and are damnned near indestructible.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang has the best manufacturing quality I've seen yet - for both amps and cabinets.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My vote goes to EBS. After all, they designed and built the Fafner!:D:D

The Fafner has a lot of great sounds lurking under its hood. But, the thing about it is that with all its versatility, it's as sturdy as a tank! Bass Player Magazine also felt it was very well constructed!

(Oyster...get yours yet?;))

7. This is an amp I really want to try! I've heard all kinds of great things about EBS but I've never had an opportunity to try one. I live in Newfoundland, so we're pretty isolated, and it's not like I could drive for a couple hours and get to a large center. I have to drive 1000km just to get to the ferry to the mainland..... The Fafner looks well built and the Bass Player reviews have been good in that vein. I have to say that there haven't been many amps that stimulate my interest like EBS for a while. I'd like to check Glockenlang out too.
    There's definately an art to amp design and construction. Looking at the guts of a well built well designed amplifier is like looking at fine art to me!