1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Buy (and possibly Target) discontinuing sales of CDs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Feb 3, 2018.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs, Target Might Be Next

Big-box electronics retailer Best Buy will stop selling CDs later this year. According to a new report from Billboard, CD sales were down 18.5 percent last year, with retailers like Best Buy and even Target looking to stop carrying the format in stores.

In a new announcement, Best Buy has told music suppliers that it plans to pull CDs from its shelves starting July 1. According to sources at Billboard, the company was only generating around $40 million annually in CD sales, a sharp decline from what was once a billion dollar offering for Best Buy. The company will continue to carry vinyl records for the next two years, following a commitment it made to suppliers.

2. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hardly a surprise.
    I-tunes, Spotify, GooglePlay, Amazon Music, etc. and even most band's own websites sell their own music now.

3. They might as well stop, because I'll never buy another CD from a big store again:

220px-The_Wrong_Side_of_Heaven_and_the_Righteous_Side_of_Hell_-_Volume_2_album_cover.

This^ is the real cover for the 5FDP album I bought. Notice there's a parental advisory logo in the bottom right.
    Well guess what, the album I bought does not have that. So, the band had to alter their original lyrics to put out this fake album that I have!

It's about time that bands didn't have to make radio-friendly songs with alternate lyrics.
    Unfortunately that would mean zero airplay for some of their songs :wideyed:

However, considering the last time I bought a CD prior to that was 1998, well...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    The Sony CDP-101 was the first CD player marketed in the US. I had one. My recollection is it was about $750*. It came with a mail-in coupon for your choice of 1 CD out of 3 available at launch. I chose Springsteen “Born To Run”. Still have it.

Perfect Sound Forever

040CE947-DEB4-4A2A-8A5F-817FEBA9BB3D.

*EDIT: The CDP-101 retailed for about $750 in Japan. When it was launched in the US a few months later, the price was $1000. That’s about $2400 now after adjusting for inflation.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The good news is cassettes are still holding their value in Nepal...

6. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I went to the BB near me, and they already have downsized the CD and DVD/Bluray section to a roughly 20 foot wall at the very back of the store.

To be honest, though, I only go there to get older buy older Bluray movies that are on sale. So, it's not exactly like I give them a reason to stock products.

Same situation GC and other brick and mortar retailers have.

OldDog52 likes this.
  7. I've all but stopped going to Best Buy since they stopped selling guitars & guitar accessories.
    They actually had the cheapest strings around.
    They'd have pretty good clearance deals on guitars & basses as well. (if you're not picky - i.e. gear snob)

whbjr, TBPlayerOC and saabfender like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

My question is, how is it that Best Buy is still open?

MarkJC8, Joonbug, ONYX and 12 others like this.
  9. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    A record collection is out of the question. CDs are EZ.

I make sure to frequent my local record shop and buy a few jazz CDs from time to time. Keep them in business and keep my GAS money down.

10. When I've been to ours the folks on the mobile phones section are mobbed with customers.
    Almost everything else is dead, but the TV section...

Their demo gaming consoles have been nonfunctional literally for years now.
    You can watch the screen all you like, but none of the controllers work.

Nicest public bathroom around, which is my main reason for going in there :roflmao:

11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The even bigger question is, why isn’t everyone patronizing/supporting the local independent record(and by that I mean all formats of recorded music)store, if there is one in the area. And there should be.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. There are none in my area. There's something similar to Sam Goody in the mall, but they've probably got the same censored CDs as the big stores.

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  13. On my last trip to San Diego I went with our son to hang out at Ocean Beach. We ended up at Cow Records where the CD’s were relegated to a small shelf in the back!

BC6B024D-EFAC-4ED8-9067-7B1B860629AC.

Winoman, fretter, repoman and 6 others like this.
  14. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Because few people are buying physical product anymore. Even paying for downloads is on the decline with the rise of paid streaming services.

japhy4529 and kodiakblair like this.
  15. BigJohnAZ

BigJohnAZ

Jun 26, 2012
    I still buy CD's and download from a couple high definition websites (HD Tracks, etc.) and burn my own. I still enjoy the higher fidelity compared to MP3's and I have a 2003 vehicle with no port for MP3 access anyway.

I like that many of the CD's I buy on Amazon get ripped into my music cloud so I can listen at work or on my phone, and still have the CD for real fidelity listening in my vehicle and home stereo. Yeah, I'm an old fart lol

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I think in a lot of cities/towns (especially outside of larger metropolitan areas) there isn't a local record shop. To make matters worse, many big box stores that (also) sell CDs only sell the radio friendly version as @Killed_by_Death indicated above. It has simply become much less of a hassle to buy the digital (unedited) song or album.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Acoustic USA endorser
    Wichita has two full-time, full service vinyl stores, and a very active LP Facebook group and regional trading community. Vinyl has returned with a vengeance.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've been buying CDs online for along time, over a decade probably. It's just easier since no store will stock everything, esp. rare titles. I do sometimes go to stores looking for cutouts.

The real problem is I started using Spotify a year ago to help put together my radio show amd at $10 a month it costs less than I used to spend monthly on CDs. Many CDs are available on Spotify so it's getting to the point that would have been unthinkable to me when I bought my first LP 51 years ago: I may no longer buy music in physical form unless it can't be streamed.

I'm currently looking into getting rid of 90% of my CDs, LPs and 45s (I have over 5000) and keep only what can't be streamed or are just too dear to worry about losing access to (I already own many albums that cannot be found on Spotify).

Now at age 63 my only concern is turntables and CD players being available until I die :banghead:

P.S. the vinyl resurgence is a big mistake even if it's become hip

Jhengsman, DJ Bebop, Phud and 6 others like this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I remember when CDs took up half the sales floor of my local Best Buy. I think it's a couple of racks now. DVDs don't have much more space than the CDs.

20. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

lol back in the day I used to work at circut city and tweeter - both no longer a company. probably just a matter of time.

DJ Bebop likes this.