Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Buy Longterm 5 Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmt, Dec 25, 2001.

1. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    :rolleyes:

Hi, I'm new here and i want to buy a second bass ( I've got a Fender 1977 Jazz Bass).
    Ok here we dont have a lot of choices, what I want to know is what is the most best longterm 5 string between these choices. These are what I can really afford it, Sound nice, and "longterm" as in 5 years :

Ibanez TBT 405QM
    Warwick STR-STD-5/Corvette ST-5
    Cort Curbow 5
    Artisan B5
    Yamaha BB G5A

Any input are highly appreciated.:D
    Thanks

2. welcome to TB hope you have a nice time here and o yea WARWICK ALL THE WAY!

3. I'd have to second that vote for a warwick. Those basses are built like tanks.

4. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Since you are already playing a Fender try the Roscoe Beck 5 string. This bass is outstanding!!!

5. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    ne wayz i gotta say a warwick.

I have qustion though.
    I wanna get a new 5 or 6 string bass, but my friend said lotz of times tone is lost do to the neccessary change in pickups.
    I would like t know if that was true and if an of yo people have suggestions on a nie 5/6 string.
    (preferably under $800)

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Of the ones listed, Warwick. In general, a Stingray 5.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You don't have a price listed, but in the price range of the basses you are looking at you should try the MTD Kingston 5 out. It blows away everything that you listed except for the Warwick Corvette.

:eek:Warwick Streamer Standard? I would stay away from those. They are in no way comparable to the more expensive Warwicks, except forn the name. For what they cost, you would be much better off with any of the other 5's on your list.

8. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks guys, :D

Well I know warwick is cool (the most expensive) , but Ive read a couple thread about the STR/Corvette STD that it's sound not so funky (compare to a thumb bolt on and my Fender of course, lol).
    BTW I'm 100% Slap style, and I might say it those type are best on fingering.

Another thing, I've notive Ibanez and Cortbow have a stable "B", but they were thick "japanese" character (no offense). :p I do really like their lower B, but for Solo it's quite weak.

Perhaps anyone here have already tried/owned a STR/Corvette STD warwick compare it to Ibanez, CortBow, give me a hint what to choose?

Tom :cool:

9. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Uh.. one thing, those list are the only best available items in all local store.
    :(

Sorry guys any hint?

Tom

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm... if slap is all you do.... that is a shame.. just kidding.. the corvette would be really good.. Stingray 5 is good for slap if thats available.. you can always order one. the MTD kingston also rocks the house.. just my opinion

11. In my experience I have not noticed this, but I've only ever played mid-high end 5 -strings. This may be the case with the lower range 5-6strings, But that is a big generalisation there. I have a Ibanez SR 805 and a Washburn XB 500. I've also played a few Fender Pbass 5 strings and the stingray 5. Out of these I would have to say go for the Stingray 5. though it is a bit expensive. so for something under $800 maybe try the BTB 405, I've heard some really good stuff about that.

12. well,
    I am not realy impressed by the corvette std ..
    that's why I have the Corvette F.N.A Jazz :)
    I think you cannot compare warwick with ANY bass... Warwick is warwick, and I think that warwick is the bass that has the growl IN the bass...by this I mean that the heavy "warwick-sound" cannot be compared with any other bass..
    if you like it --> buy it ..if you do not like it --> do NOT buy it ..

13. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Dont get me wrong, I like warwick sounds, I might even buy one, there is a guy here offer me a used Warwick Thumb Bolt On 5 Strings fretless. I dont know if its sound good?

I quite agree that not only warwick but most of basses does have their own color/character.

The problems come what you have $$$ in your pocket.

I think the fretless one will only be for practicing, and I'm still looking for a fretted 5 strings.

Perhaps I must wait till somebody sell their used gear (MM/MTD,etc).
    :cool:

14. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Tmt...just wondering why you left fender off your list being you own a fender jazz? for around $550 you could get a mim deluxe J bass (american pups and Eq) imho the deluxe series gives a lot of bass for the $ good luck..