Best Buy/Sony Rebate Refusing to Honor My Rebate

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jgbass, Jul 1, 2005.

1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have been trying to get my rebate check from Sony Rebate Center for a purchase from Best Buy of a Sony E-Drive. Think I would take the thing back if it wasn't installed.

What's with these stores like Best Buy? They entice customers with rebates, in this case two separate $20 rebates. I was given the store rebate coupons at the cashiers, followed the instructions perfectly in mailing, even clarified with them, yes, you get two rebates from this product.

Only got one rebate. Worst of all, Best Buy never even bothered to respond to my letters. They've lost me as a customer. I won't be bothering with them anymore.

Anyone ever successfully dealt with this kind of thing?
  2. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Are you like new at this thing? You always make copies of the rebates and receipts. They will do everything in there power to make it hard for you in hopes you never respond. They'll say you didn't circle the item correctly, used the wrong ink, whatever. I usually get a letter back saying you filled out the receipt incorrectly(even if you follow the instructions to a tee), but they don't bother to return your receipt. Usually after the second time you send it, they give you your rebate.

By the way, one of your rebates is with the manufacturer, the other is with the store. Which one did you get back?
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Best Buy has screwed me on rebates before.

Therefore, the only Best Buy rebates I'll honor are
    the ones that they honor at the cash register.

No mail in's.
  4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    No, not new at this, just getting more organized these days and trying to get these companies to be accountable and do what they are supposed to do. Got copies of everything, no problem there. But its like major bookkeeping for these stupid rebates.

Never really had any problems before with rebates, but the Best Buy thing was suspect from the get go and taking it as far as I can. I still got a good deal on the drive.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The thing about rebates is that they are basically created to screw over the average shopper/consumer. If you're timid, lazy and ho hum about redeeming one, you will most assuredly get screwed somehow. But, if you make enough noise over it, it becomes as much of a hassle for them as it is for you, and usually... they'll cave.

Rebates are all about creating hurdles to jump through, most people falter and don't follow-thru with all of the steps, and/or neglect to make copies of important forms and/or aren't aggressive enough with getting things done...etc.

If I recall correctly, a lot of rebate fine-print actually gives the company the right to not honor it and/or change the conditions at any time.

Ultimately, I steer clear of rebates, my step-dad is a very aggressive shopper, and he'll follow a rebate till the end of the earth, but I personally would prefer to just find a better product/deal.