best cab for -$400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Feb 25, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What, in your opinion, is the best bass cab for under 400 bucks?????? Please respond and give me your suggestions.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

In general - used - more bang for you buck when you let someone else take the hit of buying it new. But you can't always find what you want that way.

What are you looking for in a cab? 10s, 12s, 15s? Is it a main cab or an extension? What are you going to be driving it with? Do you need 4 or 8 ohms? What are you priorities in a cab - weight, flat response, efficiency, sound, etc.?

My own most recent cab purchase was a SWR WM-15T. Some of my critieria included price, size&weight, 15", freq resp, sound. Other cabs that look interesting to me include those from Flite sound that use some kind of composite material for the structural components for very light weight and are designed for flat frequency response. Bag Ends have a good rep and are ~360-400 for a 15-only cab. There's a bunch of stuff out there.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bag End 15 or a GK 410RBS.
  4. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Take a good look at Carvin's catalog. They offer 4x10, 2x10, 1x15, and 1x18. All are very reasonably priced. The cabs are plywood (not cheap particleboard). They use quality speakers and sound great. I have a 1000 watt head, a 4x10 (with bullet tweeter), and a 1x18. It's a real tone monster. It blows away any Ampeg I've ever heard (or owned) and comes within about 95% of a big Eden rig in terms of sound (but at 1/3 the price).

What I think I've learned from this experience is that there is just plain no substitute for power. And let's face it, once you get in the mix you'll sound good IF your axe sounds good, you have reasonable cabs, AND plenty of power (headroom) with reasonable tone shaping controls. I don't often use all 1000 watts, but having that extra horsepower in reserve gives me control I wouldn't otherwise have. When I use both cabs, that 18" can really shake the house and get people on their feet (but ya gotta be careful ya don't overdo it!).

I've owned Fender, Gibson, Ampeg, Peavey, Hartke, and Carvin. For me, Carvin stuff blows 'em all away. But that's just me. Go give a listen.
  5. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    The carvin RL410.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't know the quality of them... I there is a place online called that sells a 2x15 for like $140... You could get 3 of those... hehe yowza.
  7. Knobby

Feb 23, 2001
    I comb the used ads weekly...the only way to go.

SWR Goliath III mint, not even a cat hair - $250

Eden 210T unused - $250
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I totally agree, carvins put out just as good a sound if not better than any swr cab ive heard, and im willing to put my rl 4x10 up against ampegs and swr's......the rl 1x15 is also a great cab and its less than $300.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Used. Always the best value.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I got a 70's SVT 810 for $300!!! 1/2 the speaker were replaced, but the cab ROCKS!!! Always try to find a used cab 1st, but play it for a while so you know it's not a lemon!!!