Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best cab for '74 orange or80 (guitar) amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mudflapgrl, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mudflapgrl

mudflapgrl

Apr 2, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    it's got 6550 tubes in it, so it's putting out about 100W (instead of 80W) & this thing is LOUD through the 115 i'm playing with, even at a low setting.

i was thinking about getting an ampeg 610 cab, but after trying out the different ampeg cabs at guitar center, i'm wondering whether i'd get a better "depth" or variety of sound with a 4X10 plus a 1X15. i play hard rock/heavy metal with a bc rich warlock, alot of melodic bass (kinda in the steve harris genre) & don't care too much for major distortion, but want the low end to shake & the high end to sound clear. somebody told me the bigger speakers have a wider range of sounds - low & high, & the 10"s are good for midrange.

any opinions would be much appreciated!

2. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The Orange OR80 is such a GREAT bass amp! Congratulations! I used to have one and I am sad every day because I had to sell it in tough times.

I used to use it with a 2-12 bin mostly -- which is great for that fat rock tone. So that's what I'd recommend.

And here's the most important (IMO):

Pick a bass bin with VERY HIGH efficiency. Aside from the speaker type, I'd rank it high because in the end, you don't really have that much power. And only 3db increase in efficiency is the equivalent of doubling your power.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

3. Bonex is right, efficiency is the magic word. A big, old 2x15 is what you need. You can usually get an old Peavey Black Widow 2x15 for cheap, and they are loud.

Chris

4. mudflapgrl

mudflapgrl

Apr 2, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    didn't even think of that, thanks - that helps alot.

5. mudflapgrl

mudflapgrl

Apr 2, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, i thought the 15" speaker (ampeg) that i tried out just had a nice clear tone, plus the big bottom. the 610's were nice & fat, did the job, but for some reason, to my ear - the 15 just sounded better.

what do you think of marshall 1550's? (saw a couple fer sale in my town recently).