1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Cab for a GK 1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrShawn2U, May 3, 2006.

1. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Just wondering what is gonna get me the best hard rock kind of sound out of a GK 1001RB-II. I know people are gonna say do a search, but I am just looking for opinions. Thanks :bag:

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I bought a GK1001RB-II a few months back. I also bought a GK 212 Neo. The combo sounds great together. I actually bought another 212 Neo last month. The cabinets are designed to be bi-amped with the head. With just one cab I have plenty of volume and with 2 it is WAY LOUD. Another nice feature is the fact that the cabs only weigh 64 pounds so they are nice on your back.

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've only played it through my Berg HT-112 and Accugroove Tri-210 and they both sound great. I can't imagine it not sounding good through any decent cabinet. If it were me, for hard rock I'd give it a try through a 410 cabinet. I suspect it would be very punchy through a mid to high line 410 cabinet.

4. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Tone opinions are so subjective...but I have 2 Aguilar S210 cabs with my 700RB-II and it sounds great. Puhlenty loud too.

:)

5. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    I bought a 1001RB II a month or so ago. Im playing it through an 8ohm tech soundsystems CT4000 4x12", it really does sound awesome, and SSsooo much power. My plan for the future is to get a pair of the neo 2x12"s.

Mike

6. +1 on the GK 212 NEO

7. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i've always loved gks through svt cabs

8. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    +1

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Sounds good with Bergantino, and the GK Neo series.

10. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Thanks for the input, im still in search of the sound for me. I have Hartke Aliminum cone cabs, a 210 and a 115 I run. If I ever get the 115 back from repair I will be able to try it out!

11. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    Augular GS412 is the cab. Try it, it takes a little work on the EQ, once you get it, you will luv it.

Lets us know what U deside.

12. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    Sorry to post two in a row.

I had a Harkie 810XL w/alum cone's before I got the Augular 412. Buying the new cab was the best thing.

13. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Bagman are you saying u didnt like the Hartke?

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    What kind of bass do you play? My Jazz sounds great with my 700RB-II through my SWR Goliath III 4x10. That combination works well for hard rock, very clear and punchy. You could get the 4 ohm version for the full 700 watts out of the 1001RB-II, and they seem to be out of favor these days so they're cheap used. (For some reason I'm not as fond of the Goliath with my P-bass.) The G-K Neo recommendation is great too; I love my 112.

15. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    For the coin the Harkie was great. I had a Harlie 4000 head and 810XL cab. Then I up grade to the GK 1001RB MK2 and still used the 810XL cab. It was a big improvement, but I had heared about the 12" cabs. When to Bass central and tried
    the GS112, GS212, & GS412. De sided on the big boy, since I was used to hualing around the big 810 cab.

There is a big gap as far as how much better my sound is since I started using the Augular GS412. The low end just jumps out and hits you square in the chest. Mids are crisp
    Highs are not to cracky (adjustable pad on the horn) and can be adjusted to sound old or new school.

It was a 3 month process from the all Harkie to the GK/Augular set up. But worth the coin. Look around and trust your hear.

Lets know waht you de side on. LOL

16. kpaxonbass

kpaxonbass Banned

May 2, 2006
    I play my GK 1001RB through an SWR Goliath III (4x10) and my GK 700RB through an SWR Son Of Bertha (1x15).
    The tone is killer - great grind.
    Both SWR cabs are re-wired for use with GK RBH cables (crossovers removed; new plates with speakon jacks directly connecting 50W amp to horn, main amp to drivers).
    FYI, the GK 1001RB/700RB User's Manual says the RBH cable is included but neither head actually comes with the cable. I called them and they were very nice and sent the cables free of charge.

17. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Hmmm I emailed the GK guy on this board about not getting the cable with the amp and he said they recently started selling them with the cabs instead of the amp and didnt offer to send me one. He said if the manual says I should get one then its wrong. I thought it was pretty lame considering the manual does say I should get the cable with the amp.

This amp seems to work well with lots of cabs but I only have experience using it with the Berg 610. A combination I would recommend for rock!

18. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    I play primarily a 98 Fender American DLX P-Bass, both the P & J pickups. I also play a Schecter Stilleto Custom 5 string. I think for my style the 4x12 might be a better choice, I like a low punchy tone that has growl too it. I think the Aguilar GS412 might be a good choice, its some serious coin thou, but eventually :bassist:

19. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Are the cables different from normal speakon?

20. Why would you need a cable if you don't have a GK cabinet?