1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best cab for a GK mb 115 combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benchbass, Mar 18, 2013.

1. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Hello all, I was wondering what advice you could give as to what can I should get for my GK mb115 combo amp.

I'm looking to get a bit louder without pushing it too hard. I want to get a GK cab obviously so they fit nicely and look good.

I believe they have a new version of my combo amp now, so I'm not sure what can will work with it best. I was looking at the GK neo series and the new line of GK mb cabs. I'm not quite sure what the difference between a powered cab and a normal cab is, or which I need in my situation.

Thanks for the advice, Ethan

2. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363631149.084253.

This is a pic of my current amp

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I don't believe those have an output for external cabs.

4. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Ok thanks :p

5. The older GK MB115 bass combo amps don’t work with the new GK powered cabs, and they don’t have an ext spkr output - but with a splitter you could drive two of the older MB115 combo amps - and it kicks butt.

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am running 2 mb 115 combos in parallel joined by my line 6 m5 works pretty good though I am thinking about moving to a 4x10 cab and a 350 or jp head

7. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Don't think so. The 1x15 and 2x10 are NEO's, and there are two 4x10's. One 800w NEO, and a 400w Ceramic. I think the $399 4x10 is the ceramic speaker cabinet.

8. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    How would you go about hooking up two of the combos together? Other than the amps what would you need?

9. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    That would have been perfect! But unfortunately I bought mine before 2011 and they don't accept it.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I use this Line 6 M5. It has two inputs and 2 outputs plus 100 effects. I got mine on sale for $110 at L and M in Canada.

01. 04.

But if that is too much just get an ABY switch for around $50 and you are good to go.

I am also curious and might start a new thread about daisy chaining these two amps, so I just use the preamp on the master and the slave is just acting as a powered cab...

hmm I think I will post a new thread

11. I use to use my old Boss GT-6B to drive my two GK MB115s etc, because I already had it before I got the Lehle P-Split splitter (but I rarely use effects (like never) and the splitter is smaller and I can use it for other stuff too so I got it).

NOTE: Both the Lehle splitter and the Radial Big Shot have ground lift and phase shift switches and an "isolated out" - and I recommend this for whichever split/switch you may buy.

IMPORTANT - If you drive two amps make sure both amps are plugged into the same AC power outlet.