Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Cab for Acoustic 150b amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a 70's vintage 150b head and am looking for a cab which would best match it. I have not been sucessful finding an Acoustic cab. Any recommendations on other models? I play mostly rock and funk.

2. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hmm... should I take the lack of responses to mean that no one has ever seen a 150b? Or that it's not worth even bothering to connect to a cab? Cmon, help me out here. I can take some constructive criticism. If you think I should dump the 150b, let me know.

3. i play an acoustic 150 through an old ampeg 8x10. it sounds good, very warm, and the "bright" switch on the amp is good for giving some extra definition. i've tried it through an ampeg 4x10 with similar results. haven't tried it with anything else, though.

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you for the advice. I am thinking about a Hartke VX410 or 410TP. I will let you know how it works out.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm a 70s guy too. , Back in the day, I actually seen a number of bands where the bassplayer used a 150B, usually with the acoustic 2-15 cab, which had I believe had either CTS, Eminence, or JBLs. The cab was a front ported reflex. it always sounded great to me.

But to be honest with you, by today's standards, the acoustic amps are very lacking in tone. Very dry, no warmth, not much tonal capabilities. I've played through 150s, 360s, and 371s. it's just a matter of time and technology.

But still, I would love to have a 360 with the folded horn, as well as your amp, also a Kustom 200 or 300 with JBL 15s. These amp don't have much tone capabilties by today's standards, but they represent a classic era. hang on to that amp!!!

based on my experience, I would go with a 2-15 cab. may the force of the 60hz be with you!

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, man. I am looking at a used Hartke 115BXL right now.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That 1-15 should work well. Today's speakers are much more efficient than the speakers manufactured in the 70s.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    As another Acoustic veteran, I can tell you that when I had my 150 head, I used a Guild 2x15 cab. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. I'd take the head with you, and plug it in to several different cabs to see what strikes as a best fit.
    On the other hand, I will argue that the Acoustic 360 would probably give modern amps a good run for the money. I found LOTS of tone and warmth in mine.

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I will let you know what I end up with.