Best cab for Acoustic 150b head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David655321, Jul 25, 2005.

1. David655321

Jul 25, 2005
    I finally moved up from the generic newfangled combos and got my first bass head: an early 70's Acoustic 150b. If you're curious, I paid $ you can all tell me that I got ripped off...but hell, I love the way it sounds.

Now I need to get a cab. Any advice? Should I look for 1 15" or 2 12"s, etc.? I play alt-country and indie rock mostly, and I'm gigging at small to midsize clubs fairly regularly.

Also, to match a head to a cab, what do I need to know as far as watts, ohms, etc? Assume I am a beginner when it comes to those sorts of things, because I am.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I won't tell you that you got ripped off because I have one of those 150 series heads and its freakin awesome!

OK, you really don't have to worry about the watts issue. That little head only puts out like 110 to 125 watts. I run mine with my Trace Elliot 1524 2x15 cab. Its rated 400 watts. I can tell you it sounds sweet and is loud as hell!

On a cab choice, just make sure its an efficient one. I would probably look into a 212 considering the music you listed. However, the best thing is to take your head to a music store(s) and try it with as many cabs as possible. Then decide what what sounds the best and will give you the volume you need. Good luck!
  3. David655321

Jul 25, 2005
    Alright, that's one vote for me not getting ripped off.

Thanks for the advice.
  4. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    $300 for 150b, provided it's in great condition, isn't so bad. 150's are kinda flooding the market, but the 150b's are in shorter supply. ANYWAY. I was running my acoustic 470 head through an ashdown mag410t and that sounded great. It's a versatile cab, not too too heavy, and the rig was *loud* and clear. If you can swing the inherent transport issues, you should consider a matching acoustic cab, like a 406 (2x15). good luck.
  5. David655321

Jul 25, 2005
    "Flooding the market" is an interesting way to put it. Here in San Diego, there aren't a lot of stores that sell vintage gear. So unless I was inclined to buy an amp on ebay, which I'm not (at the moment), it's hard to say that any vintage amp is flooding the market as far as I'm concerned.