Best cab for fretless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ppanousos, May 17, 2005.

1. ppanousos

Apr 10, 2005
    What do u think is the best choice for a cab considering the fact that i play strickly fingerstyle with my fretless 5 string.I am in a cover band so i play a lot of different styles of music.Sould i buy a 1x15 or 2x10?
  2. Its a hard desiscion.
    I don't know, but I think the 15" can serve your fretless better.
  3. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Well, I would say that this depends on personal taste, the brand of cabinet (there can be huge differences there), and the amplifier that you will be using and such. Not to mention your budget.

I play a 5-string fretless in a cover band and have switched from Eden 2x10 + 1x15 to Epifani 2x10 + 1x12. I like to have the punch of 10"/12" when I want/need it, and with Epifani cabinets you don't have to worry about losing the low end (but at a price).

So tell us some more: what is the line up of your band, what type of gigs do you play (large/small venues), do you use a PA system when you perform, make of bass and amplifier and current cab. The more info you give us the better we can help you out.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A 210 will better compliment the complex mids of your fretless, in my experience. I love 15s, but not for fretless.
  5. ppanousos

Apr 10, 2005
    I have a Ibanez Gary Willis signature(awesome bass!) and an Gallien Krueger 400RBIV.I will use the amp strickly for personal monitoring but the onstage level of the band is pretty loud.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Schroeder 1210 is great for fretless, in my experience.
  7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Quite a few guys in here have been raving about Schroeders for fretless. I haven't demoed one but I can see how the pronounced mids and the projection of the cab would really work for fretless. Definitely worth checking into.
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have found that I prefer 12's with my fretless basses.