best cab for low freq extension

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by camoe, Mar 2, 2002.

1. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Hey all,

I'm running my Modulus Q5 thru a SWR workingman 12 and need to upgrade to either a different combo or cab/amp set to increase the low freq extension. The B string doesn't quit cut it through the SWR 12. In browsing and looking at cabs, I've noticed that many only have a 40Hz (-3db) extension. Since the B fundamental is about 30Hz, I'd like to get a cab that would extend that far...cost isn't a big factor, weight isn't either...but size is. Any ideas on a smaller sized cab that can really go low...not necessarily that loud..but low?

"Bass...How low can you go?" Chuck D

2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive heard BagEnd cabs are great at producing low freqs. You could do some reading on 'em @
  3. look for used eden gear. If got an eden metro, you'd be in business. Then you could add more cabs as you get more cash.
  4. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    like WWP said Eden. the xl's or xlt's IMO.
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    bag end elf cabs with the elf1 processor go down to 8hz. Thats ****in low. Also, theyre damn tiny. Theyre pricey, but you said that didnt matter.
  6. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    the fundamental isn't necessarily what cuts through...
  7. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Almost anything will get you deeper and louder than the WM12. I used one for a while a couple of months back and it seemed more like a practice amp than a real amp to me.

A good 4x10 and 300 to 400 watt amp will get you pretty decent sound, especially one of the newer, bigger 4x10s that work with a B-string. I personally don't think adding a 1x15 to a 4x10 helps much if it's a good 4x10. A second 4x10 will move a lot more air than a 1x15.

Another path - the emerging trend - is to use a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12s, again with a decent amp of 300 watts or twice that or even more. These separates are in a whole different league than the Workingman's 12, even though the speaker cone size is the same.

If you really are serious about size and cost not mattering, go to the Dave Matthews Band website and look at what Stefan Lessard uses for his onstage sound - coupla pairs of Meyer Sound cabs, Crest 7001 amp, many thousand dollars worth of preamps and processors. Bring a $10,000 bill! ;)

FWIW, when Mr. Lessard showed up to do his song at the Gov't Mule sessions, he used an Epifani 310 and EA Iamp350 head.
  8. I've got an "Acme Low-B 2x10" That I'm very happy with; It goes down to 30hz and is about the size of a shoebox.
  9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i love stephan lessard but the brotha needs to stick to a rig. he was using all of that myers stuff for awhile.. then he went to swr now he is using the ea and epifani stuff. i so confused. how can i hero worship if he keeps jumpin around. well there is always feildy KIDDING!
  10. gordotone

Nov 22, 2001
    How about a cerwin-vega folded horn? Are these still around anywhere?
    Low end=massive:D
  11. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Any of the SWR or Ampeg 15" or 18" will do the job.

Bag Ends are also great and usually physically smaller & lighter.
  12. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    If cost isn't a factor but size is you'll need to check out Bag End's line of subwoofers. These subs will give you the fundamental +/-3db while being some of the smallest cabinets available due to there sealed enclosure design.

The Bag End S18E is the most commonly used sub for instrumantation but they make others ranging from the 12"X14" S10E and the S12E all the way up to they're Quartz, a 4-18".

While the cabinets aren't that costly, the ELF processor required to drive these cabinets range in price from $850-2000. Then there's the cost of a dedicated amplifier channel which can provide 200 watts/8ohms for the 10" and 12" or 400 watts/8ohms for the 18".

Another system, Accugroove, intergrates a sub in one full range crossover cabinet. This is an exciting new product which could become a benchmark of sorts for full range bass reproduction. Myer Sound produces a powered system. I think there are a few others.
  13. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you need more low end than what comes out of an Acme box, there's something wrong....very, very...wrong with you. :-0

And it only weighs 46 lbs.
  14. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks for all of your replies. I'm definitely gonna check out the Bag Ends. I didn't realize that they made cabs for instruments. I have heard their audio subwoofer (bag end elf 12") and it was very impressive. I also like the idea of having a sealed box vs. ported or transmission. Would I be correct in assuming that the design principles and crossover philosophy in bass cabs are the same as audio subs in that a sealed will typically have a higher Q factor and the dropoff below the resonant freq will be a slower slope?

15. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Yes, but all else being equal the efficiency and maximum output will be substantially less.

Almost all bass cabs are ported boxes, for good reasons. There was a brief discussion of this in Bass Player a few issues back.

EA makes transmission lines but the cabs are a lot smaller than what an audiophile would typically call a transmission line.

To get the low end out of most of the Bag End gear you need their propietary processor, which costs as much again as the cab.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    However, you'd be surprised how a SABDDI would spruce up your bottom end, if placed judiciously between your bass and the input of your WM 12.
  17. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Auh...definatly maybe. Go to for an overview of ELF. Aside from there ELF systems being unique, there's no real mystery with Bag End they use quality materials and simple designs for there enclosures and quality drivers and crossovers. I'm a big fan of there coaxial high frequency drivers which produce rich mids and extended highs.

It may be difficult finding a dealer who stocks these systems for auditioning.
  18. Ron Wickersham is the designer of the ELF system. He got out of that business and formed Alembic. Bright man, for sure.
  19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Just get a coupla' EAW dual 1x18 cabs...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Camoe,

I totally love your desire for extreme Hz, but, what kind of bass & rig are you using? What are you tuning to F# , A , B, ??? Have you tried bi-amping or using a crossover with good speakers & enough power? Important details can save us time and you $$$...