1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Cab for My Clarus 2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grove, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Grove

Grove

Mar 18, 2006
    Washington DC Area
    I have a Clarus 2R being used with a NY8 for guitar. I called yesterday several guys I have dealt with in the past with the response to the question of an electric bass guitar cab for my 2R - stating that they deal will jazz equipment. I cannot believe that an electric bass guitar cannot be used for jazz. I am just starting with electric bass guitar and I am a jazz player of other instruments and would like a recommendation for a cab. I would prefer the portability similar to the NY8 but will sacrifice size and weight to lean away from compression. I got answers from my calls that they had nothing that will cut through a band and you need to go elsewhere because they deal with jazz equipment. They have no idea of the number of sessions I have done on guitar that the only way someone could realize I was playing was when I stopped playing.

I would appreciate input to what cab I should get. I am thinking maybe to stay with Raezer's Edge utilizing a 12" 400 watt but am attracted to the 10" but I have heard it in the past and think it sounds a bit compressed. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Hello. I play EB in a jazz setting quite often. If you are looking for small and light, and a good fit with the Clarus, I would suggest either an Epifani 110UL or 112UL. They are very light and efficient, and sound good with the AI line of amps IMO. They are somewhat bright sounding, and very articulate... very clear. The 112UL would be loud enough for virtually any jazz type gig IMO. The 110 might get buried a little bit on the loudest trio or quartet type gig IMO.

If you want a more full, mellow tone with lot's of low end in a relatively light and small package, the Acme B110 or 210 sound great also (and are reasonably priced). They are inefficient (i.e., won't be as loud as the Epi's)... BUT.... both the 110 and 210 come in 4ohm versions (the small Epi's only come in 8ohm versions), so you would have double the wattage going into the Acme's in 4ohm. So, they would be about the same volume. The Acme's are three way cabs... very 'flat and full' sounding.

Some jazz-type electric players really like the Bergantino HT112 (the one with the tweeter), but I don't find that cab a very good match for the Clarus... it's relatively inefficient (i.e., needs more watts) and only comes in an 8ohm version. The voicing of the Berg cabs seem to bring out the worst in the AI to me for EB (I heard the pairing is great for DB), kind of muted upper mids and a low end that sounds open and 'not punchy' to me (of course, again, personal opinion there). The Bergs sound REALLY good with the Walter Woods amp, which is very, very different sounding from the AI stuff.

Finally, the Accugroove Tri112 is also a great cab for fingerstyle jazz on an EB IMO, and is similar in sound to the Acme's... and kind of falls in between the Acme110 and Acme210 in volume and size. However, I have not tried that cab with the AI heads. Since the Acme's sound so good with the AI stuff, I would assume the AccugrooveTri112 does also... again, similar design concept... three way cab with mid driver and a quite extended low end (although not as deep as the Acme).

The Acme site will give you a lot of information on those cabs, and the Epi/Berg/Accugroove sites, while less informative, will still give you specs, weight, etc.

You can purchase Acme's direct. Fellow TBer Joel carries Accugroove and Epifani at The Groove Shoppe. I'm not sure about Bergantino dealers, but they are listed on the site.

Hope that at least gives you some ideas.

Edit: EA also has a couple of small 112 cabs, but I don't prefer those myself, and don't like the way they pair with the AI stuff as much as the Epi and Acme cabs... however, pure personal taste... they are worth a look... they are called 'The Wizzy', which is a 112 without tweeter, and the CXL112L, which is a full range 112. The EA website is very good and will give you specs, etc. These are my least favorite of the above cabs for a variety of reasons, but some really like them.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ken, your post is giving me GAS for a Low B1 4ohm...it's really the only cab out there I salivate for at the moment. I just haven't used one, and everybody says it's such a nice match with the AI stuff.

4. The pairing really does sound good. I used a 4ohm B110 and ClarusI for quite a while with my Rob Allen... very warm and 'tubey' sounding, and surprisingly loud for its size. The Acme110 is my favorite Acme cab... it seems the most 'balanced' to me, and is very small and lightweight. I sold that rig to a DB playing buddy of mine, and have heard that rig a number of times... very natural sounding, and quite loud for DB.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I know this has been done in a million threads, but is the Low B1 a much better standalone cab than the UL110 with the Clarus? I find the UL110 sounds great with the Clarus at low volumes (piano trio/dinner music).

I bet the Low B1/Clarus would also be a killer jazz guitar rig.

W

6. I replaced an old Epifani T-110 (8ohm) with the Acme110 (4ohm) for use with my Clarus on small trio-type gigs. I'm not sure how the UL110 stacks up with the T-110, but I found the T-110 and the Acme to have about the same volume, but that the Acme110 did not compress in the low end at all... it sounded much larger and fuller to me, if that makes sense. At the time, the Acme was much lighter and a little smaller than the T-110, but of course, now the UL110 is lighter yet! For size/weight/volume/tone.... I think I would still prefer the Epi112UL over all others with the Clarus/Focus thing for EB in a small group setting.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ken- I agree that the UL112 is ideal, but as we've noted...it almost sounds TOO big and assertive at low volumes. With piano and a quiet drummer, something about it is a little overpowering. The 4ohm Acme sounds like it might be ideal for that gig.

8. Grove

Grove

Mar 18, 2006
    Washington DC Area
    Does anyone know what the Raezers Edge 12" 400 watt is like with the Clarus?

9. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Acme B1 all the way. I have two of them and run them on every gig I do. Very transparent sound, super low end, uber balanced, no harsh mids.

10. I know a few guitarists who use the Clarus/Raezers Edge combo, and it sounds GREAT. I have never met, heard about, or seen a bassist that uses a Raezers Edge cab. I don't know if that means they arent' great bass cabs, or that they have limited awareness and distribution (or that I just hang out with the wrong bassists:D ).

My guess is that the cabs described above, made by companies that really focus on building bass gear, would be a better bet.

What kind of EB are you playing, and what is your sound preference (i.e., are you going for a woody/organic sound like Steve Swallow, a big, warm, fat, full sound like Anthony Jackson, or a more articulate, somewhat modern sound like Lincoln Goines.. with some strong upper mid and treble definition?).

11. Grove

Grove

Mar 18, 2006
    Washington DC Area
    Thanks for your feedback. I have only been practicing the bass guitar for about a month. I have a P Bass Special with the equalizer and a Peavey Micro Bass. I have the bg set up with TI 100's and am using foam between the bridge pick up and bridge. For now I guess I am looking for an upright tone mainly because most of what I listen to is from the late forties through the late sixties. Musically I structure myself from a swing-bebop foundation but it takes the shape of fusion-symmetrical with an archtop guitar. A enjoy comping old standards on the piano. On trumpet and sax it is hard bop.

What prompted me to post was reactions of retailers I have dealt with in the past seem to preclude bg in their mindset for jazz. I am looking to use a bg for a traditional jazz setting although it may be in the closet because of the mindset. I want to start with a DB type sound but do not plan to limit myself to it. I have a Raezers Edge NY8 because I like the tone, portability, no feedback problem, I can use it for practice in an apartment and it holds up well with the few gigs I do. One might say I am better off with a DB but I am not trying replace an upright with an electric bass. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

12. appler

appler Guest

I've used my Clarus with bass guitar on jazz gigs several times. I do not like the Gallien-Krueger Microbass speaker, which is one that a lot of jazz players use. It sounded "tinny" to me and in my (albeit limited) experience, I've found that a lot of people who use the MBX112 are willing to sacrifice a little bit of tone for portability. I've had good luck with Bag End speakers. They're very punchy and dynamic and I think they match up well with the Clarus since the speakers are so efficient. I bring my Clarus and Bag End S15 to almost all of my gigs and I'm very happy with the sound.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
  14. Grove

Grove

Mar 18, 2006
    Washington DC Area
    Thanks!