Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Cab for Pod XT Pro and power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrickDog, Apr 20, 2004.

1. TrickDog

TrickDog Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I play Classic Rock in bars on the weekends. My main band uses no amps on stage, all Pods and electronic drums. I'm in another band that requires me to have an amp on stage. I've got an old Carvin 2x10 and 1x15 plus Pro Bass 300 but I'm not happy with it.

I'm wanting to place my bass pod pro and a poweramp into a rack and just use 'cabinet x' when needed. A lightweight cabinet would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

2. Depending on how loud you need to be I would suggest a cabinet from Acme Bass Cabs. Either a Low B-2 (low-med volume settings) or a Low B-4 (louder stuff). You'll want an amp that can run at least 500 watts to the B-2 or 1000 watts to the B-4 at their respective impedences. A pair of B-2's would cover pretty much any situation (bring one or two, etc...).

I suggest these cabinets because they will accurately reproduce the various model signals from your Pod better then anything else on the market for the price. If cost isn't a factor I would look at Accugroove and Euphonic Audio. At the very least you'll want to consider cabinets that have a more "flat" response. This means they'll behave similar to studio reference monitors and reproduce a very "uncolored" version of the input signal. I hope this helps!

3. I've got a Pod Pro and I've used it with several different cabinets. (Hartke 4.5XL, SWR Triad, and now Bergi HT/EX112) I found that I've liked different settings with different cabinets. With the Triad I usually ended using the Mesa 400+ setting. With the Hartke I liked the Fender Bassman setting a lot. And now with the Bergi's well, just about any of the settings sound pretty good. I used them in a big boomy gym last week pushing them with the POD Pro and a Carvin DCM1000. The SVT setting worked the best in that room. I think that the PODs work best with flat full range speakers. I like the way it works with the Bergi's and the Triad but I'm sure it would do well with any good hi-fi type bass enclosure. I don't think the pod would work as well with a vintage type cab (2x15 etc.....) as the old vint. cabs color the sound too much ad defeat the purpose of the whole POD thing....... jmho.........................and...............