1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cab for Upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Telsonater, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sorry if there's a thread dedicated to this. I searched but didn't find one.

I have a single 15" 200w handmade cabinet I've been plugging my Acoustic Image Clarus + head into when I need a bit more power, but this cab still can't handle it, and gives very poor mids and highs. I've looked at all sorts of cabs and it's a bit overwhelming. The guys at music stores try to push these cabs that they use for electric. I can't seem to explain that the upright is a whole different beast. This cab is rated for 8ohms and I've been told I may want a 4ohm cab.

I would like something like a 2x12 or 2x10, but not something huge.

Thanks

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Look into 1-12 and even 1-10 cabs. They usually have tighter bottom which is important for DB.

Your local stores probably don't stock anything useful. Look into online dealers with 30-day return policies...you can try all the cabs you like for the cost of return shipping :thumbsup:

Expect to pay more than typical BG cabs. Cabs from Acoustic Image and Euphonic Audio aren't cheap.

8 or 4 ohms matters little unless you plan on running multiple cabs.

You can try searching here for cab threads...there's a lot of them!

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I use Eden 2x12 and it's overkill, but with some ensembles it can get loud and I have headroom. Generally clean, natural sound is what you are looking for, IMO

4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Telsonater,

I use a 15-inch driver in a custom cab with my Walter Woods amp, and it sounds wonderful to me. I have tried many different cabs and amps (which was very expensive) and this is what I ended up with. Brian is right that 8 or 4 ohms does not really matter. Driver diameter isn't necessarily the main issue either. There are so many other factors. Try not to have any preconceived ideas. Check out other players who have a sound that you like, and find out what they are using for amplification. But ultimately the best cab is the one that sounds best to you.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I would look into Euphonic Audio, Mike Arnopol Sound Big E, Crazy 88 and Thunderchild cabs for double bass. These are the makers and designs many are talking about now. And, cabs I've had experience with.

And my front ported 15" cab from '82 still sounds really good!

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've also tried a lot of different amps and cabs and used some provided backline too. Using a bunch of different gear is expensive but it really helps you find which stuff you like. More than that though it teaches you to get a usable sound with what you have.

I use single 15" Bag End cabs right now. They'll take a lot of power and have a low end roll-off that works for me. I got the first one on Craig'sList for $200. It is a bit of a compromise though as I'm playing some music that typically uses an electric bass with drummers that are hitting hard. In a perfect world I'd always use a mic through the PA and not bother with an amp or just not ever play louder than my 50w single 8" Markbass combo will go.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago

I used to use the above (hole port in the back) for bass guitar but I couldn't get it to sound good with double bass.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Like I say for me they're a compromise so I can play loud and eventually I'm sure I'll find something I like better...the rear port being effected so much so wall proximity is a pain in the ass. The best loud sound I've gotten has been with a couple of different front ported 4x10" cabs but damned if I'm going to haul one of those around. You did just remind me though that I have an old front ported 1x15" EV cab I need to find and try again with the DB.

9. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    If you like the 4x10 sound, try ACME Low B1. It is a single 10" with mid and tweeter, but you can combine them and scaled up in any number that you like to get the sound and volume level you need. Very portable and HUGE low end, with clarity through the entie spectrum. You'll likely need a couple if you run just them. In very simplified explanation, if using just one cab, 4 ohm works fine and you'll percieve a bit more volume, but if running more than one, 8ohms work together better and some amps don't like it when you combine cabs and bring the total load down to 2 ohms. Your AI head should work fine anywhere between 8 and 2 ohms if it is one of that newer models.

Mark Dye likes this.
  10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    NO NO NO!!

The preferred series II cabs are rare! We may need to replace ours at some point. Buy ANYTHING else. Andy's latest version looks nice enough but it doesn't have a taillight in the crossover or cat hair magnets on the exterior. The rat fur on mine also smells a bit like Guinness. I prefer the old ones and will never sell them. Teslatater, do a search for Acme Low B1 to see what they are all about. The 210 version (B2) is nice as well.

I have run my pair of 4 ohm boxes with the original Clarus which only puts out 300 watts. Although they should probably see twice that, the sound is still great and the amp never got hot. A new Clarus + would be ideal. There's a reason that Rick and Andy recommend each other's products; they work very well together.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    james condino likes this.
  11. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Jul 16, 2013
    UK
    I use a big E45 as an extension to my AI amp and I really like it. The sound is really tight and clear and it handles the front attack of the note without distorting. I've tried using some of the 12" and 15" cabs that are in rehearsal rooms as extensions and they all sound pretty crap and boomy. It's much easier to add a little bottom end from your amp or pre amp than it is to try and negate problems from boomy cabs.

JeffKissell likes this.
  12. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    My favorites, notice that I didn't say the best, :) are single 112's. You can find 112 designs that are compact, lightweight, with sufficient power handling and frequency response that suits the upright.

I typically run through an FDeck HPF-pre into a Markbass head (set flat) -> the Berg 112. With the filter set to approximately 45 Hz, I have no problems with boomy low end. Whenever I run into problems with other rigs being boomy, regardless of speaker design, it is due to the lack of filtering.

My current 112 is a discontinued Bergantino EX112ER, their tweeterless design. They pop up in the classifieds sometimes and are worth a listen. I would like to know if anyone has tried a Baer 112 with an upright- it looks like a contender.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    I second this, I just had my best sounding upright gig with my mas45 yesterday. The drummer loved it too.

JeffKissell likes this.
  14. Another popular design around these parts is the fEarless 112. Reportedly small, light and powerful.

I'm happy with my Wizzy 10, but would welcome the aforementioned 112, or a Mas45, or a Thunderchild 112, or Wizzy M12, BFM Jack 112, or...

15. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Euphonic Audio NL 210 Cabinet is my favorite cabinet.

I also play an Ampeg 210 AV cabinet which is a little smaller and lighter and easier to transport. I play that one in small shows or radio stuff.

I power them both with an Acoustic Image Focus SA. One time I plugged them both in at the same time and....

I was afraid at how much I liked 4 - 10's!

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The old Checker Marathons were great cabs for doublebass, but good luck finding one!

17. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Okay, my two cents. This is a fools errand, because there is no ONE cab that works well in all venues. I have an AI Clarus/Chorus (2 channels) that I use as a cab, and an EA MLine 12. I drive them both with an AI head. Depending on the gig, I tend to start with the AI cab because I like bringing a more authentic upright sound, but if I'm not cutting through, which completely seems to depend on the room, then I swap out the AI cab with the EA, sometimes on a chair. I do find the EA MLine to have the fullness that I'm hearing in the mid-range while still having a good upper range. Based on recordings of my gigs, I find the single AI speaker to be too thin and the EA MLine 12 to be much more what I heard in my mind's ear. All depends on the room, your playing, your bass, and your band.
    The take-away, IMO, is, have more than one solution and have each ready at the gig as appropriate.

mormoyboy and Groove Doctor like this.
  18. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Sorry to give away the secret handshake Greg! I'm actually using the series III without the taillight and the rat fur got waxed, so it's all shiny....Go big and try feedin' yours more ; with the 800 watt AI Focus the result is HUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!!!! Two B1s somehow sound a lot better for my needs than the B2. As to how much folks in the know like them- I've had a want ad running for a couple of weeks shy of a year now with not one single offer from someone who wants to part with an 8 ohm B1; last month I even put up a bribe offer to trade even a B2 for a B1 and got no offers! 'Time to just pony up and go visit Andy for a new one....

19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I had forgotten which version you had. Seriously, the new version looks like an improvement, but if it ain't broke...........

20. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Jul 16, 2013
    UK
    I think the key question over best right cab/rig is, do you want to hear yourself clearly on stage, or are you trying to fill a room of whatever size with a full sound?

rickwolff and neddyrow like this.