Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best cab/head for under $750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassNoob?, Sep 18, 2005.

1. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Hey this is my first post here on Talkbass...
    I am looking into buying a new amp, because my current 60 watt combo just doesnt get loud enough. When we mic the drums, we cant hear the bass amp. I thought that i would make a stack instead of getting another combo because I can upgrade it over time. I was thinking of getting around 250+ watts of power, just so that I won't need an extra mic for my bass amp.

I was looking at the Avatar cabinets and the Galien-Krueger 400RB-IV. Just wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions. Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Welcome to TB. What kind of sound are you chasing? Avatar is a decent cab IMO, especially for the money. And GK goes w/o saying. But, is that the sound you're after, or one you are prepared to live with?

I checked your profile. If you could scrape up another $450, a Mesa Walkabout Scout could be had for $1200 retail.

3. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    $450 would take me until like April to save up for lol. My birthday is the 26th, and i will be getting money for that. I was planning on getting the amp with my christmas money. I am just scouting stuff out now.
    I am after a more treble-ish sound. I slap a lot (not that im good at it but) and my SWR has such a terrible slap tone. The Fender Rumbles at GC sounded nicer than it with my '505. I almost never play with a pick. My usual amp settings have the mids dropped, and the bass and trebel boosted. When you said "Is that the sound you're after", what type sound are you talking about?

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Well, GK sounds like...GK. I suppose I would say "treble-ish". It's a great sound, IMO. Make sure you play on one a few times just to make sure that it's your sound. I just saw the 400RBII at Tempe Guitar Center for $289 the other day. Rediculous price for a brand new unit.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    You can get a Kustom Groove Bass head for about 500. It is 1200 watts of pure bass power. It'll be loud enough for anything. You could pick up some avatar cabs to go with it too.

6. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Thanks for all of the help so far you guys!!! I think I'll head down to GC sometime soon... ill call and see if they have any GKs in yet. What cabs sound the most like Avatars? I know the one im looking at has Eminence speakers in it (the 210 Neo), so when i go to GC what should i plug the GK into? I know bassman combos have Eminence speakers in them... but i dont think that they sell the cabs seperatly (i know they sell the heads seperatly)... do any other cabs have Eminence speakers in them?

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    you can get a gk 700rb-II and a gk neo 1x12 cab for 870 from rmcaudio.com. free shipping and no taxes. id highly suggest saving a 120 more and going with this setup. youll never have to worry about lack of power. i run this setup except mine is the combo version. it shakes my house. you wont believe how loud this little thing is. plus you can add more speakers down the road if needed. or if you cant swing it id suggest the 400 RB-IV and gk cab. that would run about 770 and would be pro level gear with pro quality sound. :bassist: btw i play a lot of slap and this setup sounds amazing for slap bass.

8. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    sadly i used Behringer BX4500H for a long time. It's only a 200$ head in musiciansfriend and I actually was very pleased with it considering the price.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I certainly can't quibble with this, as I run G-K 700RB heads (Mks. I & II) through a G-K Neo112 for rehearsals and small gigs. The Neo112 is a fantastic sounding cabinet, that's both warm and clear. With the awesome 700RB-II, it gets plenty loud for rock shows in small clubs. (With the first generation 700RB, it's great for full band rehearsals, but I'm not sure about gigs.)

However, for an all-purpose standalone cabinet, I'd want to move more air than a 1x12", and I like your idea of an Avatar B210 Neo. (If you don't mind the weight, maybe go for the Kappa Pro 210.) Match that with a new G-K head, and you'll be set until you can add another cabinet. Depending on your gigs, you may not need another cabinet. And remember to set the Avatar on its end for a vertical speaker array -- big difference.

10. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    theres a used firebass in the classifieds right now too. price just dropped to 275 shipped. too bad bassnoob isnt ready to buy yet. thats a great deal.

11. Yeah definatly, i still use my firebass alot, i got it with a 410 TXF peavey cab for £500 about 2 years ago :)

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Avatar's special Amp / Cab deal:

Ashdown Mag 300H + Avatar B210 Kappa Pro = $576
    or
    Ashdown Mag 300H + Avatar B212 Delta LF = $589

13. yorkville xs400t (Combo amp)

yorkville xs400/800 head, and your selection of avatar head.

14. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I think im going to save up for much longer and get that 700RB... Im headed to GC saturday to check it out! Now for the cabinet... I have played GK Backline cabs and i really dont like them. The behringers sounded better... The regular GK cabs are too expensive... so i think that i will eventually end up going with the Avatar cabs... which cabs will give me the best "bang for the buck"? O and btw thanks for all of the help so far...

15. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Make suer to get 4ohm if want most out of amp, but if planning on adding other cabs, get 4 ohm.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    ...if planning on adding other cabs, get 8 ohm.

P.S. If you like a punchier tone, go for the B210 Kappa Pro (still good low end).

17. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +1 the 2x12 avatar cab will be the best cab by itself and is the best bargain IMHO. i would suggest getting the 8 ohm so you always leave the option open to add speakers. you just never know... :D

18. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    You guys have been extremly helpful... thanks for everything!!! Now all i have to do is wait :spit:

EDIT:
    Im a little confused about the Ohms. If i get an 8 Ohms Kappa Pro B410, will that still have 500 watt power handeling? And another noob question... what is "500 watts RMS"... http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    ^ thats probably where i'm buying it from... is that the best place to get them from?

19. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    bump... fairly nooby question ^

:p