Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cab match for Ashdown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ddayseb, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi. I'm a rock player. At the moment, I play a G&L L-2500 through an ABM EVO 500 and an ABM 410H. Today, I tried my bass and amp through an EBS 311, and I liked the sound much, much better than through my own cabinet. I think the EBS was a bit shrill for me, but it did a much better job of communicating the voice of my bass than the relative dullness of the Ashdown (am I really saying that about Ashdown?). Obviously, you're not here with me, and we haven't met, so I can't describe to you perfectly what I would like to sound like, but I'm curious as to your opinions on what cabinets mate with Ashdown heads to produce clear, open, warm, solid rock tone most successfully. I imagine the ABM500 is flexible enough to get from sharp to warm. I apologize if this topic has been brought up before and I missed it in my search. Thanks a bunch.

2. I run my ABM-500 rc through Aguilar Cabs. I have a GS210 and 2 GS410's. I think it sounds awsome. Evreyone that has heard my rig agrees as well. The local Music shop has gotten a lot of positive feedback from people that have used this same set up. Worth looking into.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, for my ABM 500 EVO, I use a Mini 48 and a Mini 15 cab - both by Ashdown! They sounded fine to me ,I can get real fat boomy sounds, and nice punchy sounds, and pretty much anywhere in between - plus they're dead easy to move around!

Guess though, you're looking elsewhere now though (other than Ashdown...)

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I highly suggest that you look at the Bergantino cabs. I have an Ashdown amp with two 112's and I've never been happier. The clarity of the Bergs really speak well with the warmth of the Ashdown. If you're looking for the one cab does it all thing than check out the Bergantino HT322. It's one box on wheels with two 10's, a 12 and a horn. You won't believe that cab. It's really incredible. www.bergantino.com

5. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks a million times over for the ideas. I'm afraid that both Aguilar and Bergantino, though they both sound like they're awesome cabinets, are out of my price range, which I sort of exceeded by getting into this Ashdown stuff in the first place. About what ballpark do they sit in, used? Are there things in the more moderately-priced world of Ampeg, SWR, Eden, etc. that people would recommend? Also, I'm curious whether other people have had this same experience with this cabinet, because if so I know I'm not going crazy, and if not, maybe I am, or maybe something's wrong with my cabinet...

Thanks again for the help.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Genz Benz

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's not you man. The Ashdown amps are great but but I'm not impressed at all with their cabs. I think that they sound weak with little bass and no character.

You should really check out Hartke cabs. I recently took a listen to an Ashdown amp through a Hartke 4.5 410 cab and I was really impressed. Just make sure that you don't get the lower priced cabs from Hartke. Either the 4.5 or the 2.5 are great choices and are priced very resonably.