Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best cab match for mesa 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 810wmb, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i currently have an eden 410xlt and a swr triad. they both sound very good. just getting the gear itch...thinking about selling both and going with something else.

i play mostly rock and roll, with a passive fender p and j.

suggestions?

in the near future, i am also going to retube with jj's.

any pre-amp tube suggestions?

i'm also broke, so if i can't get a REALLY big improvement...say so.

thanks.

2. Get a Bergantino NV610 or NV215. Perfect cabs for rock type music. The 610 is the SVT 810 killer. I too play mostly rock type music and I'm fiending for a 610. It's big and nasty and in your face, but at the same time very refined and focused.

:brad:

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    yeah...i use an ampeg 610 and it's a sweet set up.

4. I second the Berg NV610. I have one, and I also have a Mesa 400+, although I usually don't bring it to the gigs, too heavy. I use a Demeter 201s and PLX2402. Get the Berg...you wont' regret it.

5. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thanks for the replies.

the 610 sounds killer. i went so the berg site and checked out the specs. sounds nice, but i have no way of hearing one...bummer.

i am also thinking of multiple cabs for the ease factor. maybe a 210 and a 15.

still open to suggestion

6. I've got a Mesa 1x15 EV loaded cab with caster in perfect condition.(as is all my stuff) It's the Diesel not the Road Ready. I'll part with it for $400.00 you pay shipping. It sounds superb with the 400+, I probably should just keep it, but I have too many cabs.

7. I heard a rig with a 400+ and a Mesa 2x15 Road Ready Diesel - it about knocked me over.

Not for the bad back crowd though thats for sure.

8. I never liked the sound of my 400+ with Eden OR SWR cabs, always sounded mushy and blurry to me. Mesa cabs (specifically my old RR's) sounded phenomenol with the amp, in fact they sounded outrageous with ANY amp.

9. Claypool used a 400+ and 2 of the mesa 2x15.

Pretty damn good sounding if you ask me.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If you are also Broke, Try a used PV BW 1-15 cab (8ohms) and use it with the Eden (8ohms) You will be hard pressed to improve upon that on a "I'm broke" budget.
    The PV will run you about $200.
    Then get the JJs, make some money, and ask again. There are a lot of options. I got a used Powerhouse 1000 (1-15,4-10) and restored/modified it for cheap, but I lucked out. If you don't want to go the credit card route, the PV way will get you 80+ % there. Then you can get all your$ back when you want to make a later move.

11. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    big string - what is the difference between the diesel and rr cabs?

rock bobby - no go on the pv. good advice though...i may sell one cab at a time to get what i want..which i am not sure of today!

went to nashville played through a new boogie 210 and 115. a very small space to listen in. the 115 sounded much better than the 210. the head was a walkabout. i could get a GREAT trade there..

also played a eden head through a 410xlt against an ampeg b2? and a classic 410. the wife and i both leaned towards the ampeg sound.

what is the opinion on the quality of ampeg cabs? whatever i get, it HAS to last!

granted different rigs entirely, but she said the 'peg sounded tighter, just better period.

oh well, the fun continues..

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You are the one that said you're broke. If you are shoppin for Mesa or Ampeg, you got some dough to spend. BTW, most standard Ampeg cabs are chip board. This is the ONLY reason why I didn't buy an 8-10 before I found the Mesa. If you want build quality, Mesa is unbeatable. Try the 1-15 Deisel with your 4-10, then get a Mesa 4-10 later.??? I have one Eden 4-10XLT that I'm keepin. I don't see a reaon to upgrade.

13. I never had a RR cab, but everyone states that they are superior to the Diesel. That may be so, but the Diesel are killer also. To me anything with the EV=Electrovoice drivers in them are superior to the now PAS brand that Mesa went to. I'm not saying PAS are bad but the EV, with my own ears, sound way better. Maybe it's the cab design too. The Diesel is more of "normal" type encloser without the flight-case look and durability. The Diesel is well made, like a tank, and actually very light and easy to handle. The RR, because of it's cab components, are supposed to give a bit more of the "killer sound. ?? The Mesa EV speakers are really good sounding with a 400+, I keep telling myself not to sell it as long as I have the 400+. (sorry I'm not yankin' your chain here, just really like the cab but have too many)

My Diesel is the Vertical cab, meaning the casters are on the smaller dimension making the top of the cab at a taller height and the port on the bottom being horizontal. The other Mesa cab I had and sold already, was the Horizontal with the casters on the longer side and port on the side in a vertical throw. The reason I did this was to take the Vertical cab and set it on top of the Horizontal cab. I would just set it on it's side and they locked right in and I didn't have to take any caster off of either cab and the ports lined right up vertically. Worked great. They both sounded equally as good. I actually didn't use my exsisting Vertical cab as much as the other because I also had a Mesa 210 (also sold) that usually put on the top of the Horiztonal Cab. Whew.... that was a lot of typing.

I changed my whole set up and started going with pre/power and need different cab for the set up, hence all the Bergantinos. For a 400+ you can't beat Mesa Cabs especially the EV loaded either Diesel or RR. The RR are WAY heavier than the Diesels.

Also, the it doesn't have tweeter, doesn't need it. The EV are sweet from low to high....

All right I'm done.

14. The EV's have always been an upgrade option, not stock. The RR's have far stiffer walls and hence, a higher resonance point; much nicer than the already fine Diesels. The EV's are indeed sweet...wonderful mids that really compliment their amps.
    That was alot of reading.

15. HiYa Madman, ya I'm a babbler....lot's of coffee this morning. Got home late from a gig and I'm still up early on TB..
    :D

16. Also in additon to the sound differences that Deisel and RR cabs may have, the Road Ready ones are just that - road ready. They have fronts that you can latch on so its in its own road case.

And I have to second my vote for the 2x15. I love that combo in general, but whenever I hear it live (Paul Malinowski of Shiner) I get blown away, figuratively and literally.

I guess I should have read everyones posts before jumping on that. I just hope someday someone will find t in their hearts to let me use one of those fine units...

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    IME, Mesa cabs are the best match for a 400+. I still have my 400+ but no cabs that really sound good with it so I'm probably gonna sell it. It does NOT, IMO, sound good with the HT Bergies (I have the 15, 210, 12 and 322). Nor does it drive the Epifani T212 or T310 well. I would imagine it'd work well with the Bergie 610, however. But I've never tried that...

The 400+ sounded great with the RR Mesa cabs I used to own: 215, 410 and 118. Punchy, warm and just strong, overall.

18. Sell it to me.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't really wanna ship that beast, bro. I'll give it a shot locally first, then I'll post it for sale here if it doesn't go in San Diego County.

20. As I have posted many times the 400+ does sound great with the HT Bergs (to me) at medium to low volumes, but that is not practical for most of us, but as Boogie stated it will NOT drive the HT series nor it's similar type cabs like Epi etc. And yes it sounds great through the NV610 Berg sealed type enclosure. The 400+ rig is still a beast to haul for me.