Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best cab setup for a swr SM-400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Jun 21, 2003.

1. iam trying to upgrade to new cabs. i play alot of types of music. every thing and eany thing ,radio head,led zep, pink floyd, ministry, primus, metal, funk, rock , reggae, little rap.

right now iam useing a 4x10 from speakerhole.com and a carvin 15 inch combo. i am powering the 15 with the swr head or use both amps with my delay pedal.

i know i want a fifteen maybe 2 and some ten's lol. i could get a power amp to use with my head. like have my head power one cab and the power amp power the othere. iam not really sure what i want for ten's ie a 4x10 a 6x10 or a 8x10.i would really like to get a 8x10 and 1x15(2x15) setup but would that be over kill. would a 4x10 or 6x10 do the same thing(with a 1x15 or 2x15). i was thinking i could really use the 8x10 when doing more rock songs and when i need more a dub deep bass type sound the 15 would be good to have.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ben, Ben, Ben ...

3. sorry. i try but no matter how hard i try i come off as a dumbass. kinda funny how my english teacher said iam the best writer in class. i try to make it easyer to read.

4. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

from what i've heard, 10's give you more mid range where as 15's give you low end and thump. i use a 4x10 through a swr bass 350 and it works for me. for a 400 watt head a 4 x10 or 6x10 would be fine, but an 8x10 would be a little big to carry around for only 400 solid state watts. you could also 2x1o and 1x15 as well for a full sound spectrum in a compact package. a 2x15 is on the big side but most can only handle 500 or 600 watts. You could also look around for a 2x12 or 4x12. 12's provide a rocky sound to your playing. Also, make sure your cab has a tweeter in it, which provides alot of high end, esp. in slapping an dpopping.

5. om so right now iam loocking at a 6x10 with a tweeter and ill get a power amp for a 1x15. would a 2x15 be over kill. who makes a good cheap 6x10.

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The SM-400 is not one of my favorite amps and the only thing I found that would sound decent was 10's. I'd stay away from 15's with that amp. The best bang for the buck is the Avatar 4x10".

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been using my SM-400 with a Goliath II. Recently got an Eden D-210T to add on for larger gigs. Sounds nice, full & clear.

8. needmorebass what didnt u like about the amp. i plan on uprgardeing to a preamp power amp setup when i have money.why not use 15's. any one have suggestions on cabs now.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I have an SM-400s and have found a near-perfect (for me) setup using two Ashdown AMB mini cabs. I use one of the 110 cabs and one of 115 cabs. Seems like most of the bass cabs coming out these days are so highly rated, the SWR's 150w at 8 ohms seems too underpowered--I used to have an Epifani 310t and this amp just didn't drive it right. The Ashdown MINI 15 is rated at, like, 300w and the 110 is rated at 200. It makes for a nice match, I've found. The balance control on the SM-400 will let you tailor how much emphasis each cab gets, too, which is nice for shaping your tone to the room you're in. I got the 115 from the great guys at basscentral.com--you can't go wrong. The cabs weigh 45 lbs or less, and the head is just the right size for sitting on top. Try em out!

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The EQ on the SM400 is the most difficult to work I've ever used. A good EQ allows you to find your sound and dial it in whereas the SM400 you have to search to find a sound that works. Also the speaker excursion those amps produce is unlike any amp I've ever seen and a 15" has a hard time keeping up. The SM-400s improved this problem but I still don't like the EQ.

Want to upgrade? Sell the SWR and get the NEW GK 1001RB. 700 watts, 18lbs, very versatile, and very reasonably priced. It will sound better with any cab.

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Agreed on the long speaker excursion...I assume that's good for tone with 10s, though.

About EQ, set the enhancer at around 1 o'clock, barely use the paragraphic EQ, but the flexibility of changing EQ center points makes it very easy without the hassle of a full graphic EQ.

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My SWR SM500 sounds really good through my two Aguilar GS112s. with the 12s you get a sound between the punch of 10s and the thump of 15s

13. iam thinking i mite go with a 6x10 or a 2x12,what ever i can get frist. iam getting sic of this head and iam thinking i want to go to a ampeg preamp and carvin power amp.(any ideas on a cheap preamp are welcome)

14. I heard a SM-400 through a SWR Workingman 4x10 and it was one of the most incredible bass tones I've ever witnessed.

15. iam not sur eif its my crappy cab or the head but when i play hard even when the volme is low it sounds sracthey.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also agree about the speaker excursion! I have a old SM400 that still sounds best with my old SWR 4/10!

17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    warwickben, how much ya want fer the head?

FWIW I run my SM400 into an Aguilar 410 and it sounds huge.

18. how much are u willing to pay.make me a offer i cant refuse(too much god farther). iam not realy sure how much i can sell it for i paid ove 450 i know that, cant rember i need to check. but make me a offer.