Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best cab/setup for BLUES

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 18, 2004.

1. what do you think would be the best cab/setup for blues?
    4x10, 1x15, 4x10 and 1x15, 2x12, 2x12 and 2x10, ect.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    110, and a 112.

-Mike

3. 215

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Whatever sounds good to you. There are so many cabinets out there, and trying to decide what is "best" simply based on speaker configuration is rather pointless. For blues, you probably don't want a bright or hi-fi sounding cab, but then again maybe YOU do. How loud is the band? What size venues will you typically play? What kind of tone do YOU prerfer? What kind of bass and amp will you be using? Are you playing traditional "old style" blues? Blues-rock? Modern blues? Lot's of things to think about!

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Buy an 8x10 and carry it up two flights of stairs. Oh wait..... Did you mean best cab for getting the blues or for playing it ;)

6. dfarr

dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    I've ended up playing mostly blues - from upright acoustic to more rocking stuff like the Fabulous Thunderbirds- and I'm making out real good with Hartke's new 2200 2x12 cab, with a Hartke 3500 head. Yes, stay away from the hi-fi stuff. I fiddled with SWR (Bass 750 & Goliath III) for over a year and never could get the thick, warm sound I was looking for. Found it within minutes with the Hartke.

7. There are a lot of great cabs for blues out there, ironically all my cabs are now 12ers, either 1x12 or 2x12 :D :

EA
    Bagend
    Aggies
    Genz Benz (after you strengthened the cab's structure)

There are definitely more, but these above are very compact and can even handle a punch IMO and experience.

:bassist: