best Cab setup...your votes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Nov 11, 2003.

1. I apologize for resurrecting this topic once again, but as a concerned citizen of, I need help again (I am such a sponge...) Basically, I've got the crappy-amp-blues once again. Now I'm using a Peavey Combo 115 (1x15), On top of another Peavey 1x15 cab at 300W. You can really crank some low end out of it, but it sounds sterile and boring and lifeless. I'm trying to find an amp and cab setup that actually sings, so to speak. Finding a used all-tube amp in good condition shouldn't be too hard, but I need recommendations for the best cab for under $400. I've tried Edens and Aguilars, and loved them, but I also know that some B-brands are just as good for a better price. If anyone has any tips or recommendation please post. Thanks again!
  2. with out a doubt..

you can get a 4x10 shipped for just about $400, and have them put casters on.
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There are a few products on the market that will make a sterile sounding amp come to life. You might try one before you give up on your current rig setup.

I have been using an Aphex Bass Xciter pedal for the last few months.
    It makes a small amp sound bigger. It adds harmonics to the highs (adding life) and thickens the bottom. It does wonders for less expensive gear. The only downside is that high end gear doesn't seem to benefit very much.
    Before the Bass Xciter pedal I would keep a notepad of EQ settings for different local clubs - because each room sounds different.
    Now I leave my EQ settings flat and just change the settings on the Bass Xciter pedal. I have even considered getting rid of my Preamp since I am not using the EQ in it anymore.
    It also acts as a direct box.
    If I had to choose only one effect for a gig, it would the Aphex Bass Xciter.

Before that I used a an Aphex Aural exciter and a BBE Sonic maximizer before that. My drummer uses an Aphex Aural Exciter on his drums to give thumping lows and crisp highs. We also use a BBE Sonic Maximizer on our PA - it makes the vocals really stand out.
    These types of effects may be able to add life to the sterile sound you currently have.