1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Cab to Add On

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1stYearThumper, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    Ok ...here goes:

1. Fender Geddy Lee JBass
    2. Ampeg B2RE (450W@4ohms)
    3. Ampeg SVT-115 (8ohm)

I need another cab to add on. This is my first month playing, played guitar for about 20 years.

I am thinking about the following:

1. SVT-115 (to match)
    2. SVT-18
    3. SVT-210

Which would you add on ...another 15" and call it good ...or ...
    the 18" for earth shaking low to compensate for the geddy lee's midrange and lack of lower bottom ....or ....the 2x10's to round out the top end.

Also, would the 18" be to much with it's 500w rms -1000w peak
    for my 450w B2RE that is already feeding a 200w rms - 400w peak ampeg cab.

These are the three choices ...what would you do and why.

Thanks, I need your opinions because bass gear IS different than guitar gear.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If it was me, and I had absolutely no other choice than an ampeg cab, I would add the SVT-210 to complement the 15.

3. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    Thanks Xgabriel ...any reason why?

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

This is all in my opinion of course, but I think that the 2x10 will round out the 15 nicely giving you overall better live tone. Another 15 or 18 cab I think will make the mix too muddy, but it really depends on your style of music.

5. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    Cool ...I value your opinion ...I didn't have these issues with my guitar amps.
    Obviously being new to bass ...but always loving it ...I am trying to weed out any problems before i PAY FOR THEM.

Thanks for you replies!

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    no problem!

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would go with the 2x10... nice combination with a cool range of sound. Though another 1x15 wouldnt be bad if you enjoy the first one.... you get a ton of volume pretty efficiently and mad low end.