1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cab to add to GK 1001rb 2 and GK NEO 1x15 rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justin Zemgulys, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

I recently bought a GK 1001rb 2 head and a GK NEO 1x15 cab. I'm looking for another cab to add some extra power to my rig because the 1x15 alone cannot handle the 1001rb if I turn it up any higher than 9:00. I am considering either a NEO 2x12 or another NEO 1x15. I've heard a lot of good things about the NEO 4x10 but its a little bit over my budget.

My band plays pretty loud and the 1x15 is just barely loud enough to practice with, so my main concern is volume. I think adding another 8 ohm cab will allow me to use my 1001rb to its full potential, but I'm not sure which cab to get. Any suggestions you guys have would be very much appreciated.

I posted a poll comparing the NEO 2x12 and the NEO 1x15, so feel free to vote on whichever one you think would go well with my current rig.

2. Best cabinet to match any other is one identical to the first!

3. I hear a lot of bass players say this but I never understood why its necessary to have 2 matching cabs. I understand that its a widely-known rule but is there any technical reasoning behind it?

4. You match your mechanically limited power handling. You match your sensitivity. You match your response curves. You do not increase the phasing that can accompany mixed cabs.

GregC likes this.
  5. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Well since these babies can bi-amp you don't need to worry about any thread saying you can't mix different speaker sizes. Never got the hang of it myself, so I just match cabs to save time doing the perfect balance in any given room... but more speakers = more volume plus less hard on the amp since you'll be dropping the load so whatever your budget allows!

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

In your situation I would sell the GK Neo 115 and use the proceeds to offset the purchase of a used GK Neo 4x10. If that is not loud enough, either get a second 4x10 or tell your band that playing at jet takeoff volume may not be where you'd like your sound to be.

7. I did a little bit of research on phase response. A lot of people on other threads claim the difference in frequencies coming from mixed speakers doesn't have a noticeable affect on the sound.

8. Actually no. The bi-amp the horn. Which doesnt solve any of the issues with the woofers.

9. Which people? I will go with guys that design speakers for a living, like Bill Fitzmaurice.

Oh and I will go with my actual experience in mixing cabs too. People that say it isnt noticable should stand more than 5 feet from their rig. It is noticeable out in the room.

10. Yeah........the guys that say it don't matter also do not know the science or care to recognize it's existence.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  11. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    That's why I gave up on it then... Thanks for pointing that out!

12. I've considered doing that but I prefer having 2 cabs. Stacking them on stage so that the top cab is higher up allows me to hear myself more clearly and it also helps project the sound throughout the venue. Plus full stacks look badass

13. Thor

And many rather knowledgeable members, some with quite significant resumes, disagree with that opinion as well. It is a fairly well debated issue. No need to re-debate that here.

BTW, there is a guy in the classisifieds looking to trade his GK Neo 4x10 for a GK Neo 115 plus cash in Virginia right now. Said he was a Berklee student. Posted on May 16th.

14. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY

I have a Neo 2-12 cab and a Neo 15 cab and it kills it! I use a GKMBF 800 amp and it has fantastic tone, volume, and portability.
    The 12's give a great low mid presence and with the 15" it is all that you will ever need.
    Good luck.
    MG

Justin Zemgulys likes this.
  15. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    So I vote for another 15" :bag:

CL400Peavey likes this.
  16. Thor

Bad4$$ can be achieved by stacking on an empty cab. Projecting is for the FOH/PA. If you can't hear yourself and you and your band are using stage volume to fill the venue, you may want to reconsider what sound reinforcement strategies you have. A lot of loud bands are not actually all that loud on stage. Just mho.

I use a SWR 4x10 with a SWR SM900 and I can hear myself fine. With the cab on the first floor. With a 4 space rack bag on top, it's plenty tall enough.

Welcome to TB, btw. :)

17. It seems science supports matching speakers. I'm not experienced with mixing cabs so I wouldn't know how much of an impact it has on the sound.

18. I guess selling my 1x15 for a 4x10 wouldn't be a bad idea if I can get a good deal on it. As for the guy you mentioned willing to trade, I can't seem to find him on the classifieds but I live in Illinois so it would be a little difficult to get it anyway.

Thanks for the welcome!

19. Thor

Go to the Classifieds section. Pick the forum that says For Sale, Amps cabinets. Then in the search box type "GK Neo" and titles only and search this forum. That thread comes up as the first or second one.

Assuming the guy is interested still, you could get into that cab for a few hundred. He has no feedback, but neither do you. If either of you has ebay feedback or something else, you can probably make it work.

20. Thor

Guys here ship cabs all the time. It's not a big deal. ;)