1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Cab To Match With An SVT-3 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheJB's, May 4, 2010.

1. TheJB's

TheJB's

Dec 2, 2006
    Hello,
    I am currently playing an Ampeg SVT-3 head out with an Ampeg 410HLF cab. I like this combo, but I have a few issues with it..

1) The cab is too boomy, but I'm not sure if it's user error or if the cab is naturally that way. It seems to have very good bottom, but not much in the mid/high range.

2) The cab is too big for my car, and too big for the mostly small to medium gigs I play.

So, I am considering downsizing to a 2/10 cab or maybe a 2/10 & 1/15 cab combo. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what cabs sound good with the SVT3 head?
    I play bluesy classic rock, some reggae, and 60's soul.
    My price range is about $500.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    How loud you need it?
    I would suggest that you end up with a 4 ohm load and that the cabinets be effecient.
    My 3-Pro would clip with an ineficient Berg at rock levels even when the input clip light was off

3. TheJB's

TheJB's

Dec 2, 2006
    I need it to be fairly loud as I play with 2 guitars and a Bonham influenced drummer.

(huh..guitarists playing loud!?)

So I'd like something that is loud, but maybe with more clarity and in a smaller size.

4. TheJB's

TheJB's

Dec 2, 2006
    Also I'm playing a Fender J-Bass with passive electronics. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

5. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    DEFINITELY stick with a 4 ohm cab, you'll lose a TON of volume if you use an 8 ohm (275 watts versus 450 with the 4 ohm). i would stick with a 4x10 if you need to cut through a 2-guitar mix. other than that i don't think you can go wrong, just about any cab will sound good with that head. just check some websites for dimensions and buy something that fits in your car.

6. JB, did you try cranking the drive knob to 5 oclock clockwise...to my ears it makes most freq's less-soft and more defined with that cab.

Jimbob

7. Im just waiting for people to chime in...." You wont be able to tell a difference in percieved volume!!!"

Dont listen to them.... you will definitely want to run that at 4 ohms, as its not even really making 450 at 4 anyways....

Go for a Higher Sensitivity 2x12 in 4 ohm. I would suggest genz, but thats just because Im partial ;)

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 3 PRO and 410hlf were definitely made for each other - do you have the Ultra Low engaged? Turn that off, put all knobs at 12 o' clock, all EQ sliders at the middle spot, set Gain so the red light is flashing often, turn the tube gain to 10, no other switches on and go from there. The 410HLF sounds midrange dificient with other heads, but sounds quite punchy with the 3 PRO. I also suggest not boosting the low end below 100hz anywhere with your gear. The rig should be plenty punchy sounding and have a good amount of low end to work with. I have owned two of these cabs and they put a out a lot of low end without much effort.

If it still does not sound good, look for a four ohm rig.

9. TheJB's

TheJB's

Dec 2, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I'll try running everything flat and see if that helps with the sound. I really want to dig this cab, as it's Ampeg and has a pretty good sound. I just need more clarity in the mid/high range.
    Right now, it def. feels like the sound is muddy and I lose a lot of articulation of notes due to the muddiness.

I should know this, but isn't the SVT410HLF a 4 ohm cab? If it has both 4 & 8 ohm capabilities, what input should be used for the 4ohm? Sorry, I'm sorta new to the technical side of amps.

10. Yes, the cab is 4ohm.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Does not matter which output you use - the head will run your cab just fine.