1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best cab to put under an Eden WT-550B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Dec 19, 2006.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm thinking a Bergantino EX/HT 112 combo but the 212 Eden does also looks like a nice match... Main thing is I want to keep the weight down, being modular (2 sep. cabs) is not a great issue..

I play mainly pop/rock and some contemporary covers to pay the bills... basses are Sadowsky RV5 and stock MIA '99 P-Bass. I'm gas free with my basses, Also really enjoying this new Eden WT-550 head but the 4ohm Avatar 212 has got to go... I think I like the sound of 2 12's but sometimes I feel the 4ohm Avatar 212 can't keep up with the WT-550, especially when the master vol gets past 12 o'clock... starts to crap out, fart and basically complain... I usually have PA support at gigs but at rehearsals I'm on my own vs. one loud rock drummer!

will either the Berg combo or the Eden 212 be worlds away from my meat and 'taters Avatar 212??? that what I really want to know...

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    man,

soooooo many awesome cabs, but why not stay eden? i'm always for like on like brands, and a pair of D112XLT's would rock the house, not to mention, sound freakin' awesome w/ the 550B.

3. Eden 410s absolutely sound amazing with the 550. I've played various Sadowsky's at the bass centre through a 550 + XST. The sound is astonishing. I love it. Lots of low end, growly mids, nice clean highs. Check out the XLT if you prefer more pronounced mid range than the XST. I've heard the Epifani UL410 is a good cab to match with the 550, but you'd have to fly to Sydney to try one of those.

I own a D112XLT as Joker mentioned, and I think they go well with the 550. Nice smooth tone. Two of these would be awesome. Markbass are also another option, very similar voicing to Eden, at half the weight.

Just head on down to the bass centre and try out some combinations, I think Guy has a few 550s left in stock, they seem to sell them like hot jam donuts!

Good luck!

Edit: Ah, so you've already got the 550. Misread!

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I guess weight is a pretty big factor for me.. I had an 110lb Ampeg 410HLF for a while.. even with casters etc I just could not manage it.. the Eden 410's do look like a great match I just worry about the weight. Thats why the 2 Berg 12 cabs are so attractive.. I did read they love power and I wonder if the 550 (500w into 4 ohm) will be enough juice to run them at their peak? they are rated at 300W rms each but I hear they love juice.. anyone??

Alistair... is this the Epi dealer you mean in NSW?

http://www.bassplayer.com.au/

got any idea on pricing on the UL410? I can get deals on Eden but I'm not sure on Epi...

5. Yep that's the dealer. I'm looking at buying one if I pass up a Sadowsky.

I rang them a while back, Aus retail is $2500, they said they could do one for $2300. Sounds like they're nothing on the bass centre, but hey, they don't stock Epifani. That retail is just about the Eden 410XST, so they're not super duper dear.

I strongly suggest you check out Markbass if weight is a factor. I think that it's pointless buying cabs that are double the weight of some cabs on the market now with Ultralight lines. I've heard Eden may bring out a Neo line to compete with other brands, but I'm not sure.

Markbass rocks.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i dunno,

i wasnt a fan of the eden's w/ the bergs. tones were just too thick and not very distinct. the edgier XLT's actually complemented the rather smooth warm tones of the 550 better.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    are you referring to a pair of 112XLT's?..

Alistair... I really didn't want to go over the 2K mark, especially as I can get pretty much any Eden cab or the two Berg cabs for under AUD2K... maybe if I ring them up and really crunch them they might sharpen their pencils a bit more!! the weight on that epi UL410 is very appealing!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, the D112XLT's.

the epifani's could work, too. a pair of UL112's might do the trick, but again, IME, the eden's just sound best w/ the eden's.

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    cool thanks.. have you tried an Eden D212XLT vs. 2 single D112XLT's at all??

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i've tried a few cabs pair vs. single cabs...

a pair of cabs will sound bigger and more diffuse, while a single cab will be punchier and more focused.

but honestly, i'll always go w/ a pair due to ease of carry and versatility. doing a small gig, take one cab. bigger gig, take two!

11. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Hey Remo,
    Another cab worth considering is the Sadowsky SA410. It is heavier than the Neo cabs but lighter than most 4x10 boxes with traditional ceramic magnet speakers. It's not as deep dimensoinally as some of the Neo 4x10 boxes which makes it quite manageble in comparison and also comes with H/Duty casters which always helps.
    The voicing of the Sadowsky 410 would matchup nicely with the Eden. Click here for a description http://www.bassgeardirect.com.au/SA410.htm .
    You will also notice that the SA410 has been designed to sound great even with moderate wattage amplifiers.
    Just another great choice.
    Cheers,

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sadowsky SA410.

13. Yeah, they are some great value cabs out there. Not sure about the Eden, Bergantino match up though. Yeah, the UL410s weight is seriously appealing, and it takes a lot of power too. Markbass cabs are reasonably priced and they're just as light as the Epifani's. Probably sound just as good as well. I'm in the same boat with you at the moment, so keeping options open is always a good thing.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    being facetious, yes? ;)

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the prob with the MarkBass stuff is I can't stand the industrial design! I much prefer the simple black look... The Eden's are JUST passable in the looks category with those bling gold tweeters! sorry to sound like a snugglemuffin but the whole orange cone and logo thing doesn't do it for moi!

16. Joker: I've never tried Epifani :p They probably sound better!

Fair enough, I must admit I sometimes feel put off by those Markbass cones, they're very in your face.

An Epifani UL410 sounds like the deal :D I've heard the Epifani set ups are an awesome match for Sadowsky's.

17. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i´m surprised nobody has mentioned the eden 210xst yet...get it in 4ohm version, it will make for a killer baby rig, get two of them to draw all the available power (~750w i think) from the 550 at 2ohms and really rock the house.
    i have a wt400+210xst, and that rig leaves nothing to be desired. it can get stupidly loud for the size, it´s easy to transport, and it cuts through in any setting...and by "cutting through" i don´t mean in an annoying way...you just always hear which note you play, no matter how bad the room acoustics.
    the xst is also tuned low enough to reproduce all your low b´s or low a´s or whatnot.

cheers,
    lowstar

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I just never pictured a 210 totally satisfying me in a no PA support situation.. doesn't it just fart out when the going gets tough?

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own a WT 550 and being in the D (detroit) I've had the privilege to try it with a lot of cabs. In a single cab set up I think it would be a tie depending on your taste in music, more modern go Epiphani 410 UL, more old school go with the Sadowsky SA 410. Both will do the other pretty well. I went with modular (2 cabs) and had Don at Low Down Sound build me a 212 Neo and 210 neo. The prices were right and they weigh less combined then one Eden 410. If you can stand the weight the Eden 410 XLT is a great cab too. The Epi 310 UL sounds a bit more scooped but is super light and a good match too. AVOID the mid size and smaller Schroders, I've tried a couple with my Eden especially the 1212L, It was the first amp combo that made my Sadowsky NYC sound bad. For some reason Eden's natural mid Bump and Schoeders Mid-projector design don't like each other. And even though their not my thing I've heard schroeders sound far better with other heads.

20. Yeh, it's a good point. They do get a bit farty when pushed. You could always buy 2.

Epi 410! :D