1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Cab With Basss POD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

I've searched numerous ways to find out what I need to know, but to no avail.

I'm running an Ampeg SVT3-Pro with a Bass PODxt Live in the preamp in through an Avatar B212. I loved the coupling of the Ampeg and Avatar, but I feel like I'm not using the POD to it's fullest.

The best tone I've gotten is running into my friends Korg digital 8 track and then running the speaker out into a small PA for monitoring. The tone is just cleaner and more of what the POD actually creates.

I'm going to sell the Ampeg and Avatar as soon as I can find a cab to replace it. I'll be using a QSC PLX poweramp. I just need a cab that won't color the sound of the POD any. Inevitably, I can simply save up for a long time and get a cab costing over 3 digits, but for now, I'd like to keep the price under $750.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    from all accounts, sounds like the Bergantino IP series would be right up your alley.

if you dont have the moolah for that, i highly recommend an Acme cab. a bit more neutral sounding than most other cabs i've used. but they do require lots of power, so a good strappingly hearty power amp is a must.

but hey, i know lots of guys who gig regularly w/ PA speakers. as long as they have a high enough power rating for your needs, dont see how they wouldnt be the trick as well.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Exactly, you like the sound of you BOD directly through the PA, why not do that?

To avoid having to biamp with subs etc, get a nice cab that can handle some bass frequencies. Theres at least on TBer that uses a JBL 2x15" with a horn. Big, but one of those would seriously rule, two would be godly. We had a PA supplied with just a powered mixer and one of the cheap ones (JRX series or something) per side. Despite our reservations about them being cheap and not having subs, and they kicked serious ass. We had a moderate amount of bass and a lot of kick drum in them too.

Something to think about.

4. TheEmptyCell

I'm gonna start looking at PA speakers. Would active or passive units be better? I'm looking to save my back a little, since I just so happen to have a hernia that needs repairing before it really busts.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Active or passive? Thats really up to you, but you might find the active ones are generally a little underpowered for what you want with bass. One idea might be a powered sub with a seperate mid/high cab, I know quite a few companies (Mackie for one) make mathcing kits like that.

There are only two ways I can think of to go low with PA cabs. One is to biamp with a small top and a small sub, but this needs a crossover, two amp channels etc etc. The way to save on rack equipment is to get one big cab that does it all.

If weight is a concern, I dont imagine you could go wrong with the Bergantino cabs, but mucho $$$. Maybe a really clean, small bass rig? The aforementioned Acmes, an EA rig perhaps?

Jack.

6. TheEmptyCell

I'm looking at the Acme's right now, and about to start pricing the EA stuff. Ideally, I'd be able to use my graduation money to partially fund an Accugroove, but I don't have that many friends :p

First is selling the Ampeg, and I'll live with the 2x12 and run to the PA as much as I can live.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm in a similar situation

I'm waiting for a return to clear and then I'm ordering a podxt live.

I'm leaning towards the JBL JRX125's or Carvin. Both seem like an excellent deals. I'm just not sure which would be best.

Musicians friend has a great deal on two of the JBL's. You get a free rock n roller dolly with them. So, I'm thinking of going that route and getting agood deal and just building my own PA in parts over time.

8. I'm playing a lot of casual gigs at the moment and I just take the POD and plug into the PA - works really well and I'm the first person out of the place for a change!!

When using a full rig, I plug the Bass POD into the effects return of my amp, bypassing the preamp completely. I have a 410 cab with a horn and I have set up the POD EQ so that the POD A/B's the same through the cab and a set of monitor headphones.

If I was setting up all over again, I would consider getting a solid state power amp (as clean and linear as possible) and a PA cab or 410 quad box with horn again, and would do away with a 'real' bass head.

9. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    www.billfitzmaurice.com

My Omni15 really likes modeling boxes....

Seriously, I'm not a big fan of the things (kind of an old school tube amp guy myself) but this cab makes my cr@ppy little behringer v-amp (and a friends POD) + power amp sound much, much better than I can get them to sound through my more conventional rigs... (4x10's, 1x15's etc.). If you're handy with tools, it'll be much more cost effective too (I've got roughly $375 into mine).

SM

10. TheEmptyCell

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm gonna start looking around at PA speakers, see what might work for me. I'll also look into some decent 4x10's, preferably Neo.

11. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I think Joker's on to something with the Acmes. As long as you have plenty of power on hand, the concept of amplifying a POD with an Acme makes perfect sense to me (I was an Acme owner for 5 years). The transparency of the Acme is exactly what you want in being able to effectively model a bunch of different rigs using the POD - because the Acme won't add its own flavor to the sound, you'll hear as close a reckoning to the modeled sound as the POD will provide. What you put in to an Acme is what you get out of an Acme!

Lonnybass

12. TheEmptyCell

If I were to get a 4 ohm Acme B-2 (standard, not W), would the QSC PLX1602 have enough power in reserve? I know my Avatar is pretty effiecient, sounds good with only 450 watts to it (handles 1200), but everyone says the Acme's crave power. Basically, I only really need it for shows, monitoring on stage. Weight is still an issue, as they still weigh more than my Avatar.

Thanks a ton, I love this forum!

13. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Empty,

A 1602 should cut the mustard with a 4 ohm B-4 IF you use it in bridge mono mode (as easy as flipping a switch and crossing the outputs on the power amp). Couple things to keep in mind though, you want to make sure you understand the principles of EQ before you toss $$ into an Acme because even a small nuclear reactor won't be enough to make an Acme throw sound out - you gotta know what sweet spots need boosting and cutting in order for it to really work in a live mix.

Also keep in mind that if you're using a Podpro and QSC you're talking about a heavy 4 space rack at the very least. Start to add power conditioner, tuner, etc. etc, and your rig is going to start growing! Better to go modular. Two smaller racks will make your back happier than one heavy one!

Lonnybass

14. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I've been using the Bass pod for a few years now as my main preamp. I use an Eden 410XLT, powered with a Carvin DMC 1500.

One main point to using the Bass pod in a live situation, is to turn off the cab sim; no matter what cab sim I use, it never sounds quite right through a bass cab.

On another note, I would love to get one of those Berg IP 1x12's if I could afford it, I have both the Pod pro and the bean, the bean with the IP would make such a portable rig.:hyper:

15. TheEmptyCell

I know what you mean with modular. I had an 8 space housing a Furman power conditioner, Korg tuner and Ampeg SVT3-Pro. I was young and naive when I got it, thinking I'd load all this other stuff into it, compressor, etc. Well, I never got anything else. I sold the case, and now just carry the Ampeg in a suitcase.

Also, I'm using the Bass POD Live, which really saves my back. I had a perfectly sized piece of luggage to carry it in, so I can just roll that. I'm always watching really closely to what soundguys do to other guys amps to get a good cut in the mix, so I think I'm pretty set there.

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The Acme B2 isn't going to move nearly as much air as your 2x12 box wil regardless of power so, there's that to think about.

The Acme stuff or somthing similar is an excellent road to take for modeling.

very nice stuff on your website by the way.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hm... I suggest an Aguilar 212 or the Acme. But you can't go wrong with Bergantino if you have the $ for it. I got my HT-210 for $350 used with a bunch of dog hair and some slight cat scratch marks. Easy to clean up, I am now very happy with it and it goes plenty low, adding some lows even when I use it with my NV 610.

18. TheEmptyCell

I didn't even realize I had a link to my SoundClick :S I haven't recorded anything in almost a year, except for my solo acoustic rock that I'm working on.

Thanks a ton. I know a few guys with higher end gear, so I'm gonna see what I can try out. I may just stick with my Avatar and possibly go to the 1x12 Neo's.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  20. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Empty-

If you're seriously thinking of the Acme route, I STRONGLY advise you to get two 4-ohm B2s over one B4 as the ability to stack the speakers vertically is gonna make a huge difference in how much mileage you get.

Lonnybass