Best cab you ever heard...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noweapon, Jul 31, 2000.

1. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I just wanted to know what everbody felt was the best cab/combo you have heard. For me it was a SWR Henry the 8x8 with an sm-500 head. I plugged in and.....WOW!!! the tone. I was "feeling" every note ( even my B! ) standing 20 feet away!!!! This thing is LOUD too. The dude @ G.C. said it is loudest cab he has ever heard...hands down. He siad the only thing with a louder B and E is the SWR Big Bertha ( 2x15 )..and he was right. I left that room pissing blood!!! But That 8x8 is best overall cab i've ever heard.."hands down"!!
  2. The Henry is a pretty cool cab. I think a lot of people underestimate those 8" speakers. However, I must say the Eden 4x10 is the best cab I've ever heard. I A/B'd the Eden against the Henry, the Goliath Sr., and an Ampeg 8x10 using the same amp, and the Eden won, easily. The Henry was scaring me a little.. the speakers were jumping so much they looked like they were going to explode. The Eden didn't flinch, and sounded much smoother at high volume. I was planning on getting an 8x10 but frankly, the Eden sounded tighter and punchier than the Ampeg behemoth. (The Megoliath wasn't out yet.)
    I haven't heard any of the higher-end cabs like Euphonic Audio, Aguilar, Epifani, etc.

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited July 31, 2000).]
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Another vote for the Eden D-410XLT.
    I haven't heard any of the praised high end cabs as Epifani, Acme or Bag End as those brands are not available in Austria. But have heard 'standards' like Ampeg, SWR, Peavey and such.
    But I'm absolutely sure, the Eden was the best I've ever heard.
    And hey: When I tested it I knew nothing about this brand at all, I want to say I had no prejudice! (Didn't even see the price tag before, left broken hearted when I did...) But I'm not planning to buy a 410 anyway - too heavy for me.

4. Another vote for the Eden 4x10 XLT!!!
  5. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    When I was a kid,those Sunn 2x15 cabs were the best,then around 1980 I checked out an SVT,I couldnt see the drivers,so I aked the sales guy what was in there.I expected him to say an 18" or some exotic thing like that.I almost fell over when he said eight"10s".that was my first experience with 10s.
    At the state fair last year I went around listening to different bands,there were 18s,10s,you name it.the best sounding rig there was an Eden with a 1x15 and 2x10.It was in a c-c-c-country band.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would have to give my vote to Euphonic Audio cabs and I'm sure that "pound for pound" there's no competition.

These are real "Hi-Fi" cabs with components of far higher quality than you see in most bass cabs. But then this illustrates the pointlessness of comparisons, because what you think is "best" is influenced by what sounds you like or prefer and someone else migt like a completely different sound. I could argue that EA cabs reproduce the sound more faithfully than any other bass cabs on the market, but that doesn't mean people have to like the sound and may prefer a more coloured sound.

I think there's no way to determine the **best** - it's only best for you.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think Bruce is right - there is no 'best sounding cab', it really depends on what you like.

On the other hand: If a cab adds a lot of colour, so that it is only suitable for a certain style, I would not call it best sounding cab, just for the lack of versatility. One would need different categories here, but I would consider this a little childish.

Nevertheless an interesting thread IMO.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You'd only need a versatile cabinet if you needed a versatile cabinet [​IMG] -Yogi Berra

Most cabinets are used for live bass reproduction. Given that, when I play live I use a combination of my head and several different cabinet combinations, mainly a 1-15 and 2-10 w/tweeter and the PA system. My rig sounds great alone but when my bass is mixed properly to the mains, monitors and my rig, it's ridiculous.

That's what happened Saturday night with my Lakland 55-94, AMP BH-420 head, Yorkville cabinets and the sound sytem with Soundcraft board, Crown amps, Community, JBL and EV speakers. There's nothing like the "feel" of the bass without excessive volume [​IMG]

Not sure if it'll fit in the Civic, though [​IMG]
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I certainly agree with the thinking that the "best" isd whatever your ears like. But my ears I like the Eden 410XLT. When I bought mine I wanted the best (there I go) sounding single cabinet that met the following criteria:

10. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Geez..what a Bozo I am. Here's the rest of the post. Criteria:
    - one cabinet only to drag to gigs
    - usuable in any gig my band plays without miking ( we play small to large indoor venues)
    - good projection and definition with deep, clear lows
    - can hear it on stage as well
    - money was no object

I tried every quality cabinet out there over several months. I even rented and borrowed gear so I was not comparing at store volume.In the end the Eden 410XLT was the clear winner. There were others that were great too but to me the Eden was THE cabinet.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

But why go for only one cab as the first criterion? It is far easier to "drag around" two lighter cabs. I couldn't actually lift a 96lb cab on my own, but can quite happily lift something about half that and with the two cabs it is easier to fit everything else around them in a car - one big lump, is more difficult to manouver to fit everything in - 2 smaller cabs gives you more options for shuffling around.

2 cabs also gives you more options in terms of different speakers combinations - 15s and 10s, 8s whatever.Also, for smaller gigs you can just use one cab and don't have to take the one large one everywhere you go.
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Bruce - Your point is well taken. I guess, for me,it's a bigger pain making two trips with two somewhat smaller cabs than one trip with a 410. A 210 with a 115 would definitely take more car space. Not normally a big deal but in my case I also transport the PA in my car.
    The other thing is sound. I just like the 410 sound better than the 210 alone or the 210 with a 115.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

2 EA cabs take up much less space than any 4 X 10 on the market and are louder in combination. I only have a hatchback Toyota Corolla and back problems! I know that lifting a 4 X 10 will aggravate these, but the EA Cabs are fine and sound better (clearer) than any other cabs I've tried.
  14. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The best cab I ever heard was my Fender 2x15 that I've had for something like 20 years. Notice I refer to it in past tense. It's been ridden hard and put away wet. Years of roadwork have destroyed it, and an extended stint in a dank basement caused it to get moldy, which caused my dear wife to chuck it (quite literally) out the front door one day, breaking it into pieces. The cab was nothing fancy (couldn't even identify what kind of speakers, and I've reconed them at least once), but it sounded JUST right. I try out amps every now and then, and have heard a number of them I like (SWR combos, Eden cabs, etc.), but nothing fits my ear like my dear ol' Fender...RIP.
  15. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I have to agree with Bruce, EA cabs all the way. I'm a big fan of Eden as well, but it's not just the difference in size for me. They ar true Hi-Fi speakers, with a transmision line, and believe me you CAN tell, oh yeah baby!!!

16. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Did I mention that I liked my Acme's?

17. I really like the sound of SWR's Megoliath teamed with a SM-900 (hope I got those product names right)

Woof-Man Out
  18. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Ea VL210 cabs. You haven't heard your bass until you've played through one of these thumpin' little beauties.
  19. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Laker:
    Ea VL210 cabs. You haven't heard your bass until you've played through one of these thumpin' little beauties.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I checked one out today, the comments on this board got me curious. WOW!! I was
    completely blown away, both by the sound and the price tag. You get what you pay for, I guess...

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Goliath III all the way baa-bee. A tad more grit than the Eden...(In a pleasing way).