1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cabinet to add to an Eden d210XST to get more low end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucpla, Dec 7, 2018.

1. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    Just got an Eden D210XST8, based on the good reviews it got here on Talkbass. No local dealer, so had to buy without trying out. To be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed by it. It's punchy and efficient, but lacks a deep bottom. I can't get the deep warm bass I can get out of my two Aguilar GS-112 cabs. Now maybe this is because it's a single cabinet, so I am looking to add a second cabinet to get some deep clean bass. Not sure if another D210XST is the way to go, or should I opt for a D115XLT or a D212XST? Since I can't compare any of these locally (and don't want to buy another 3 cabinets ;-) ), asking if people have used these combinations and what their observations are.
    Thanks.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have a 2x10 XST and run it alone. I bought it for
    my low B 5 string bass. I run a TC RH450 & IMHO it has a lot of deep bottom
    which I normally cut back on.
    Those Aggies must have a lot of deep warm bass.
    Happy hunting.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'd say add another 210XST . Those are supposed to have more low end than the XLT cabs and I used to run a pair of those and the low end was very deep and clear . Plus you could run them verticaly and get one closer to your ears . Really it's better to run matched cabinets .

4. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    I am using an SVT-3 Pro, and keeping the same settings the D210XST sounds like a midrange speaker compared to the GS-112

5. Something is wrong with it.
    Check the speakers polarity buy plunging in a 1/4 to the cab then the other side put a 9 volt battery across the plug, tip to + sleeve to - for just a second and see if the speakers move out or in at the same time.

If they do not move together they are out of phase and will give you symptoms you are describing.

6. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks, I wil check that.

7. It will make a gnarly thump as you connect the volts. Be watching the cones and remove power right away.

bassmeknik and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    Did that, and cone excursion for both is in same direction. Would have to be expected, since it's an unaltered cabinet.

9. What is not expected is a 210 having such poor performance compared to a standard 112.

Al Kraft likes this.
  10. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    OK, to clarify this, in my original post I stated two GS-112

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Right, so a pair of 12s vs. a pair of 10s just isn't a fair comparison.

I'm with @Blues Bass 2 -- get a second matching cabinet for a tall stack.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. No fair! Amp is running full power with the two 8 ohm cabs and 2x 112 is much more speaker capacity than 210. Even if you turned down the amp so that the power was the same there would still be a sensitivity advantage to the way bigger cab combo.
    'the' implies singular 112 cabinet in TB land of pluralizing to 112's

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    Will get a second D210xst, and will keep you posted. But how unfair is a comparison of 2 GS-112 to two D210XST ;-)

Lobster11 likes this.
  14. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've had both of those cabinets. The Aguilar is one of the deepest I've played and I was totally blown away by it when I demoed it in home. It has a lot happening below 100hz and those frequencies sound great and also eat up a lot of power. Ultimately, I found that not useful in a band situation, but that's just my take and I understand yours is different.
    The Eden is a more balanced cabinet. You can turn up the low lows on your amp if you have those frequencies available in the EQ section. That will help some. But the Aguilar is a really unusual cabinet and if you like it, there isn't going to be much else along those lines.

Thumper likes this.
  15. lucpla

lucpla

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks so much for your reply. Currently I play mostly at home, not in a band, so I guess that's where my preference goes, but I really appreciate your input. Will start to experiment more with my amp settings :)

Pbassmanca and Lobster11 like this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    It is. I get to use two of them once a year at our local Hendrix birthday celebration, best backline ever. Two of those cabs is nothing but clean, clear, huge piano slam. I have a great rig, but that Hendrix gig is the only one I never bring it to.

17. Similar to the one 210 v 2 112 would be my best guess. Power availability might be uncomplimentary to the 112 pair though.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. The 210XST has massive deep lows.

I think you just need another one- more speakers should do the trick.

Bassngtr and Pbassmanca like this.
  19. Another 210xst, or a 212xlt. I've run both these combinations and loved them both.

20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    12's or a 15. 210 totally give the mid punch, but envelop the mids with the fullness of at least one larger diameter cab.
    Kill/reduce any tweeters/horns.
    Good luck.