Best Cabinet to compliment a SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pako, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    In your opinion, what would be the best cabinet to compliment a bright 4x10 cabinet, namely the SWR Goliath III. I can Bi-Amp with my SM-900 head, at a crossover point at 100hz-5k. Looking at 4ohms, and 500w+ RMS, and hopefully a cab that will support extended low end bass frequencies that would compliment a low F# in the future, and pound out a low-b all day long.

Any suggestions and why?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm a fan of keeping voicings the same, so I would recommend another SWR cab to match. If you frequently use your stage volume to fill a bar or club, go with a 1x15, and if you usually let the PA fill the room for you, consider another 4x10.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Right now my set up is either two Goliath II Jrs. or one Goliath II Jr. with my Bag End S15D custom. The SWR 210/Bag End 15 combination sounds real good to my ears.
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Big Bertha...although if you weren't kidding about the F# thing, you might be better off going with subwoofer boxes and a back brace.
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My Goliath Sr would do it nicely..j/k. Take a look at the Big Ben. I have no idea of how much handling or ohms it is, but it should handle the frequencies well.

6. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Thanks for the replies guys! I was leaning towards the "Big Bertha" cabinet just because 2x15" sounds more appealing than a single 18". My initial thought is that the low-end would be tighter with a couple of 15's than a single 18". With not being about to try/hear/experience either one, it's hard to make a objective decision. According to my amp specs, with running stereo, it can handle down to a 2 ohm load per channel. That means I could easily run two Goliath III's (4ohm+4ohm=2ohm) for a total of 8-10" on one channel, and two Big Bertha's (4ohm+4ohm=2ohm)for a total of 4-15" on the other channel. I'm not a fan of running loads below 4ohm just because it has got to introduce audiable distortion, but I haven't tried it with this head and they don't display THD % at a 2ohm load.

In Conclusion, what it looks like I am going to do is pickup a Big Bertha to run as my standard gig rig, and leave the Goliath III at home for practice. In the event of an outside venue or larger club show, add my current Goliath III to the setup in a Bi-amp configuration which should sound pretty good.

It will be a while before I have $1,000 USD to spend on a Big Bertha, so if anyone still has some additional idea’s, I’d be more than open to them.
  7. I have the same set up as SquirrelMaster, except I have a spector and two Zons next to it. The Big Ben is my first choice for the low end when coupled with 410's.
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Don't you mean "since it's an 18" you wouldn't want to run it by itself" - what's rear-porting got to do with it?

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Some specs from SWR's website:

Goliath III:
    105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 40Hz and 15KHz)

Big Bertha:
    100 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-6dB @ 40Hz and 15 KHz)

Big Ben:
    100 dB SPL @ 2W1M (-6dB @ 25Hz and 3khz)

If you want to go low a Big Bertha doesn't look the best choice, as it's got less true low end than the Goliath. The Big Ben is less efficient but that'll be made up by not having to boost the low end on your amp as you would with the Big Bertha or Goliath. Although I haven't heard a Big Ben myself, a lot of bassists whose opinions are trust either own them or have used them and say that it sounds much much quicker than you'd expect an 18" to be.