Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cabinets for under $300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It kinda sucks when you don't have a job and suddenly you can't buy everything you want to. At any rate, I'm looking for a cheap 1x15 and 2x10 to replace my Ashdown MAGs. I'm looking for something a bit more transparent. Perhaps Avatar?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Those are certainly a good choice... Lots of good used cabinets around for bargain prices too...

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea Avatar would be my one and only choice for under $300.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

dcr

5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    now hold on there a second....

dont forget dr. bass

a 115 is $259, and 37 lbs.

dr. bass

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Yep. My Dr. Bass's have beat out my Aguilar and my Ampegs. I'll take one over an Avatar any day of the week.

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    hey emprov,

didnt realize you were still lurkin around. well after much debate, i went a different route..instead of getting the matching 1080 cab to go with my 1260, i opted for a 115. marc went ahead and built it to match...as seen here

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154229

we have to get together sometime an do a comparison

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Looks awesome! Mine's more gritty, sounds like you're bringing on the low end! Did you buy the Thunderfunk from Marc? I'm going to be replacing my rig with some flavor of an RX in the next month or two, I'd love to get some feedback on your rig! How do you like it?

And I lurk and post bit here but I mainly hang at HC. It's good to decompress and enter into some brainless conversation with some bass playing ebuddies throughout the work day. Whenever I need a dose of the technical stuff though I come on over here.

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Dr. Bass

Best: coating, appearance, tone and price IMO! :D

10. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Anyone know if Dr Bass cabs are available in the UK ??

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried Avatar, but I am very impressed by the cabs from Dr. Bass. Truly amazing cabs for the money. You might also want to check out Low Down Sound. Don is a real innovator, and he is more than happy to build a cab to suit your particular wants/needs.

12. Yes, they are available to order online direct from the factory and I was recently in touch with them regarding shipping quotes etc and they were VERY helpful. :)

13. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well..its loud as H3ll! :). i love the TF (yes, i did get it THRU marc, from another source that he didnt disclose - ie. he knew someone who was selling one) i played the tf with the 1260 for several gigs , and ppl were saying that i wasnt cutting thru at some shows against the (loud) drummer, the distorted line6 spider 212, and two sets of vocals. they could hear the bass, but couldnt always pick out my parts. other shows they said it was ALL bass, and that i needed to turn down. the funny part was that i was getting the "too quiet" reviews when i was DI'd, and the "too loud" when i wasnt, so i think the venue was the deciding factor. :confused:

now that i have added the 115, i feel like i have plenty of overhead for my band, and therefore i can turn up, and play softer and faster. the only complaint i have gotten is that im too loud in the practice room (i am trying to learn volume control with my finger touch), and that i am now "too trebly". personally, it sounds boomy as hell to me, with little to no mud or distortion. my drummer can hear me on stage, i can hear me on stage, and the audience can hear me well.

i think my "too trebly" issue has to do with the eq. i am running it flat with no effects. some songs i play in the upper register, so i think the mids are very pronounced during those times. it may also be a technique thing.

i haven't posted a review yet, because i have only played one gig with the whole rig. i am holding off till i can get a better feel for it. i have been fighting a lot of changes in my band in 6 months...
    1. peavey 412 tube guitar amp to spider 212
    2. lead guitarist spider 112 guitar amp to another lead guitarist with line6/marshall quarter stack to no 2nd guitarist
    3. trace 410 to ampeg b2r/dr. bass 1260 to tf/1260/115 rig
    ...so i have not been able to get a good feel of the eq needed

i think these problems will go away with experience. i love my rig. the only problem i have is that the 1260 with the tf in it is 60+ lbs. the fact that the 115 is 37lbs makes up for it. if it becomes a problem, i will just pull the tf out, and put in a rack drawer.