1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best cables for bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pulse, Sep 4, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi

can you please give me your take on the best cables for bass effects pedals

I recently realised my present interconnect cables have been really tone sucking even though they were not the cheapest.

Widely available brands would be great thanks

J

2. I swear by George L's. They're great for wiring up a pedalboard, because you make your own length, and the cable itself is fairly thin, so it's not as bulky as the pre-made cables you buy at a store.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    *Pulls up a chair and gets popcorn ready in case of the great debate:

"Cables don't matter as long as they have good contact!"

"No, the Platinum-connected $10/ft. cables sound better!"

"Care to submit to an ABX test?"

"Pishaw on your ABX test! I know what I hear!"
    :bag:

4. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I picked up some cheap cables from Radio Shack. They were like 7" or something, with molded on right angle plugs. Just imagine everything you were told to avoid.

They sound good. I can't tell any difference between running through my pedal board (only 5 pedals, though) and plugging into my amp directly. Who woulda guessed?

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I'm glad those are working for you, but every time I've purchased cables at the shack, I've regretted it. Sometimes they never work. Other times I find myself picking up radio transmissions. Or they don't fit the my inputs and keep crapping out.

I'm not the kind of guy who spends money on audiophile cables (OK I own some monsters, but they were marked down a lot when I got 'em). But my repeat experience tells me to "splurge" on Hosa/LiveWire over the shack.

I just picked up $60 worth of cables at GC's labor day sale - they were 3 for $10. I got patch cables, mic cables, even an extra daisy chain.

And I still need more!

6. Here is my $.02. I bought one of the Planet Waves cable station kits. It is a solderless kit with abou 10' of cable and 10 right angle ends. I have to say, to my ear, i heard a difference when i used them instead of the "cheap" cables i was using. This is my experience....others may be different...hope that helps
    Jeremy

7. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    ha ha dude, funny message

but for the record this aint a price thing, just a "dont weaken the sound of my bass thing"

if they are cheaper I aint complaining

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've heard more of "rolls off the highs" in cabling personally.

I use cables built from Canare 4E6S Star Quad wire... with SOLDERED ends! I've played too many gigs with too many different guitarists that had some brand or another of solderless connectors fail mid show.

9. And I've never had an issue mid-gig with my George L's, but I have seen more than a few times where pre-made, soldered end cables have crapped out.

10. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah the only cables that have failed on me have been soldered too, now that I think of it. I use the planet waves kit with some couplings in between some of the pedals, it sounds nice and keeps things cozy. Plus I just found a local store that will literally give me the cable off their roll. :D

11. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Yeah, to be perfectly honest, I had one that was bad right out of the bag. But, I've had other brands that turned up a bad one every now and again, as well.

But, another thing that has contributed to my not replacing them with name brand cables, is that I built my pedalboard to stay the way it is for a while. All the plugs fit the jacks nice and snug, and they are molded, so the angle-ends aren't grossly oversized. But, I sure wouldn't consider using a molded end cable for something that will be plugged in and unplugged alot.

And considering the only shop in town is a store that marks everything up by about 200%, I'd pay $10 each for the name-brand equivalent cable... or I'd have to wait a few days for the stuff to come from an online shop. But for what I paid (I think they were $2.99 each), I couldn't even build my own cables and save any money.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Before I learned the evils of Monster cables from these forums, I had already hooked myself up with all Monster 8" cables, and a couple of 18"ers as well. Though in theory, I way overpaid for them, I have absolutely no complaints. My tone far exceeds my abilities, and I don't feel like I got robbed. Maybe I did, but I'm cool with it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just bought a bag of those molded right angle cables you can get on Ebay. They work great and come in all sorts of lovely colors. I'm a strict "what's on sale" cable buyer.

14. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hands down, these are the best cables you can get for the money. They are not cheap, a kit runs roughly $60. However, you make them the length you want, and it's super easy to make cables. I used these and my system had less noise and connector issues. I'd recommend these to anyone wanting decent cables for you pedalboard.

These work pretty much the same way as bassman515 was saying with the Planet Waves. I think when I priced it out Planet Waves were only $5 more, but I liked the lower profile connectors of the George L.

15. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    They call it Radioshack for a reason! :p

Anywho I swear by George L's as well. As long as you can afford the $60+ dollar price tag and can get past the annoyance of making/testing cables they are great. They take up minimal space and you can make any length you could ever want/need.

16. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Except 10'-1". :D :p

No, for real, those look great until you get more than 6 pedals. I couldn't see spending $120 to get 10 patch cables.

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use George L's. I used to have Hosa or Fender Electrovolts, and I noticed when i switched over that my tone was the same, however there seemed to be fewer issues with buzz and noise in my signal.

$60 is a fair chunk of change for the kit, but if you look at it another way, that's $12/cable.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Good, I hope it remains that way... I won't use them.

While I've never had or witnessed a cheap Hosa 6" with molded ends fail myself, I do buy all my cables now from www.greatcables.us They know how to wire up a solid reliable cable :bassist:

19. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Point taken but I have exactly 6 pedals on my board so it worked out perfectly, I would definately consider another pack of them though if I decided to add more since I already made the initial investment.

20. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I know what you mean, I hate looking down and seeing a bunch of mismatched cables... especially when you drop a wad of cash for something nice.