Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cabs for biamping an Ampeg 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hugo5, May 1, 2005.

1. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    Just got a new 4 Pro, bi-amping into Hartkes 410 and 115, 8 Ohm each. The rig sounds great, but insufficient volume to cut through 300 Line 6 guitar power. What cabs should I get?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok try this

disable the biamp feature and run both cabs full range. you should notice an increase in volume and you'll probably liek the tone better

biamping is great when the cabs are optimized for the frequency range you'll be using. most bass cabs aren't. the 410 in particular is being underused the way you have it. try soloing the 410 while biamped and notice how quiet and anemic it sounds. that cab is designed to be run full range.

bass amps started to offer crossovers for biamping in the eighties during the "biamp craze" and pretty soon a lot of manufacturers had to offer that feature to stay competitive. i talked to quite a few manufacturers on the phone who would tell you that they preferred the way their rigs sounded full range, but they offered the biamp feature because they "had to".

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Also the SVT4 Pro only puts out 300 watts per side when run into an 8 ohm cab. You are barely using half the available power of that amp.

4. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    Thanks! So should I monobridge it and daisychain the two (2) cabs to 4 Ohms? or one cab to A and the other one to B?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you do that you'd have to be very careful with the volume, you'd be pushing 1200 watts into those cabs. I think the Hartke 410 and 115 can take 400 and 150 watts respectively (and those are the pro models, the TP and VX series handle less), way less than the total output of the amp. You can certainly do this, and you'd ahve tons of headroom, but you would need to watch your master volume knob pretty carefully (keeping the limiter on would be a good idea too).

6. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    what happens if I run both cabs on one channel and leave the other one empty.? Will it be damaged ?

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    A friend of mine uses a 410 SVT HLF and a 115 SVT with his. It sounds really awesome.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no, solid state power sections dont need a load. lots of cats do this all the time (myself included) however, you will probably end up running less watts into the cabs that way than if you had them one on each side. try my original suggestion and post how it worked out. i bet you'll like it. :cool:

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

Perfectly safe but watch what you're doing. More than likely if it sounds like crap or somethings not quite right you're overdoing it.

:D

Joe.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The SVT 4 Pro is all tube, not solid state. Also it only delivers 475 watts/side into 4 ohms, so you will probably loose watts this (475 < 300+300). Best solution with your current cabs is to put one on each side and run full range into both. You could also biamp and run just lows to the 115 and full range to the 410 (check the manual for instruction on how to do this). I would only do this if the full range signal really sounds bad on the 115, which it shouldn't unless you are pushing too much power into it.

You do want to be really careful running your full signal into the 115 as that cab has a lower power handling than the 410. Don't run them both at the same level, in my expirence hartke cones don't give much warning when they are driven too far, they go all gritty sounding, then they turn inside out. Its not pretty!

11. The SVT 4 Pro has a tube preamp and solid-state power section.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Hmm you're right, why do I keep seeing this amp advertised as "All Tube".

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    beacause tube is a buzz word. :rolleyes:

14. Really? I haven't seen that... I'd say that's definitely misrepresenting the item.

15. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    Ivan Mike,
    thanks , I tried the hook up 410 into A, 115 into B, I guess you were right, a lot more power. And a good, full tune. I am afraid to use the monobridge with these flimsy drivers, though. Its good for now, I am starting to save some money for better cabs. The Hartke VX cabs are not that loud with respect to db.
    Thanks everybody! :hyper: :bassist:

16. David Tyler

David Tyler

Apr 10, 2007
    Since we're discussing bi-amping... I'd like to get some ideas from people with more experience than I have with this. I have an Ampeg SVT 4Pro head that I'm using for my main amp. I originally bought the SVT 3Pro which is now sitting around doing nothing. The reason I changed amps was for the cabinet I picked up. It's the HLF 410PR and the SVT 3 just wasn't pushing it. So, I've been thinking about setting up the 3 with it's own cab and bi-amping the two. It looks like I'll be picking up a crossover and some duplicate gear (compressor, effect unit) ... but what would be the best cab for the SVT 3? I need something that will effectively handle the higher end but would still have a full enough sound on it's own if I decide to use it by itself.

anyone have thoughts on this?

17. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Nope

18. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    For the original question of what cabs to biamp though...

Try a PA 118 cab like a yamaha and a top of choice.

Set the crossever at 120 HZ and fill the room with bass. each cab 2 ohms would be chioce. Or 2 118 4 ohm cabs and 2 210 4 ohm cabs.
    Or 8 8 ohm 810 cabs.
    or 4 118 8 ohm cabs and 4 810 8 ohm cabs.
    I like the last option the best.

Jonathan

19. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I had an SVT IV Pro, and I used Ampeg BXT series cabs with it (a 410 and a 115), both four ohms. Worked great for me till I decided to go the pre-power amp set up. You might want to try some four ohm Ampeg cabs if you can.

Alan

20. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I typically don't biamp with the SVT-4, but rather use the two independant effect loops to run a stereo rig. That way you can have, say, an 8x10 cab, with 4 10's running dirty, and 4 10's running clean. Give that a shot too. The SVT-4 is pretty versatile, I just never cared for biamping on any head. As the other posters said, it tends to sound better just run full range.