Best cabs for Eden Navigator?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nightbass, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My experience with dozens of preamps and cabs suggests that certain cabs go best with a certain preamp. Acme and Kern, for example. I've got a Navigator coming and was wondering which cabs you've found sound the best with it, in terms of balancing the voicing and EQ of the Navigator...

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    So you finally broke down and went for a Nav? I'm betting that your Bergie 310 is going to sound dynamite. Congrats on the new pre. ;)
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I find myself most commonly pairing up my VL-210's with the Navigator. This seems to be a really good match, although the HT310 should also sound awesome.

The nice thing with the Navigator, is that it is very flexible, and therefore can sound good with a wide variety of equipment. On the other end of the spectrum, I doubt that you could get a Kern to sound like anything but a Kern (which would be why one would have bought a Kern in the first place, I would presume!).
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    With the Nav, I personally prefer the Aguilar GS-410s over the Eden XLT's, though I never tried it with the XST series cabs.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR

Strange :eek: I have my N-gator going into my Aggie GS410. Pushed by a Stewart 2.1. Ummm good!
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used to use two 210XST cabs and it sounded great, but it wasn't loud enough.

I now use a Schroeder 3101212 and Im loving it.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Navigator = one of the best...

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use either a schroeder 410 (thanks Jorg) or a henry 8x8, qsc/plx power amp...
  10. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I've got a Bergie HT322 and Plx 1602. Sounds awesome!!!
  11. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i sent you a tracking number via e-mail and it should be there tomorrow.

i had an epi 310 and i when i got it and it sounded good.switched to schroeders and loved the personal fav was the schroeder 1212 with the navigator/stewart.
    good luck with it and let us know how you like it.
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    410XLT is good, as is the new Mesa Powerhouse 410's like I am currently using. Same sound as the XLT, minus a bit of the boom.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    with my 400 i found that most cabinets sounded good. not surprisingly, :p I have to say that eden's preamp sounds great with bag end 1x15 and 1x12 cabs. It also sounds very good with aggie 1x12 cabs although i found that the warm sound of the eden together with the equally warm sound of the GS112 required a bit of EQ to reduce the bass a tad. I also dig the eden preamp with the older style swr golaith 1 and 2 and the eden 410T. It also sounds very good with the epifani 10" equiped cabs. The 400 and an epi 310 (NYC or UL) made one heck of a rig.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The Navigator will make any decent speaker sound as good as it can. I've not noticed that datum to be necessarily true that an ideal "match" exists somewhere in an ideal world, albeit true that David probably had the Eden cabs in mind when he developed it. I could be wrong. Its tuesday so I probably am.
  15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i don't think it was really a match that dave N. had in mind. looking at eden's history they released the original amps with the demeter designed preamp because "it's hard to be taken seiously if you just build cabinets". i'm guessing they later went to the wt series of amps with the russ allee designed preamp because players seemed to want more eq flexibility. Overall i agree that there aren't cut and dry "matches" for any given preamp. that said, the allee designed eden preamp seems to excell at "warming up" boxes that have less lows and more mids and highs. despite that i just said that i preferred alembic to eden in a another thread here, the allee/eden preamp is still one of my alltime favorites, as are all the preamps with the allee design influence (e.g., SWR & AMP/Gibson/Thunderfunk)