Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Cabs for the Iamp800????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fello, Sep 16, 2003.

1. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    I recently purchased an Iamp800 and now i'm in the process of buying 1 or maybe 2 cabinets for it.Thinking about 2X10,1X12 or 2X12.I'm moving overseas in 2 weeks and don't have much time to try many of the best available due to their availability in the local market and time restrictions.Please give me your opinions and reviews?Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not EA?

but, if you have the money, definitely Bergantino.

the smooth top end & glassy, gooey mids of the Bergs mates incredibly well with the clear hifiness of the EA heads.

if not those, then SWR's pretty good, but watch the high end, cause it can get shrilly.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you like fat try Aguilar gs-112 or a couple of them! nice price too! talk to allan grossman he has ea iamp and gs-112s, use to have all eden rig.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you ask any EA supporter, they tell you that the iAMP sounds best with EA cabs. I'll buy that! since I use a CXL 1-12L and my 800 for smaller gigs.

I also use my 800 with one, and sometimes two, Eden 2-10XLTs. They also sound great together. Naturally, you'll get a bit of the Eden cab coloration, which I like for the funk applications.

I think the iAMP is very compatible with most cabs.

Now that I've thought about it, this amp is so usable as far as tone and power, I think that this head might go down in history. If there was a hall of fame for bass heads, the iAMP 800 will be right next to the Classics like the Woods, Sunn, SVT, Acoustic 360, Bassman, B-15, etc.

Ok,OK,OK... SWR and Eden too.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I know that this is kinda like a "duh" answer but you should play through a selection of cabs. I had a chance to do an A/B/C... when I was looking for a cab to go with my Clarus and it was shocking. Everything sounded OK, but when you can go from one cab to another in a few seconds without changing any settings you can get a feel for what difference it makes to you. The difference between two cabs from the same line and same manufacturer was startling.

Offhand, after having played an iAmp 350 for a while, I'd say that if you aren't going to go with an EA cab, then a Bergantino HT112 is about the best all around 1x12 that I have used and the closest to a "sounds good with anything" cab that I have tried.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yo, Andrew here

Come on over and try the Iamp with my Bergs believe me youll love it. If you need real volume we can go to Fordam. If you say please I might let you borrow them for a rehersal or a gig.I admit to have motives though I want to check out the Iamp, I have no back up amp and I have to do something about it.The Iamp would be great Im sure I just cant afford it unless I really love it :) a used clarus or Iamp 300 or even a wt 400 is more realistic. the thought of the new clarus is intrieging

PS I'm still bummed you didnt give me a chance to try the RB5
    ;)

Give me a call

AJ

7. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Hey Andrew , What's up?
    Man , first of all, sorry about the RB5, but it sold really quick.
    About the cabinets and Iamp,thanks man!!.I'm now waiting for the delivery of the Iamp, I just bought it 3 days ago from Austin Bass Traders, (they were the only store that I could find that had them in stock), and it should arrive here in a week or so.
    I'll get in touch with you so you can try it, and I can try your cabs.I'm leaving Boston for good at the end of this month also, so it also would be a good chance to hang.
    Peace
    Adolfredo

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congratulations Fello!!!

Glenn of Austin Basstraders is an all around nice guy, very knowledgeable on gear, and will give a very reasonable price. I bought my MTD 535 and iAMP 800 from him.

9. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    HI Jay.First of all thanks for helping me locate an Iamp800.You're right!.Glenn was super nice and gave a really good price on the Iamp800.
    Thank you very much!!.I can't wait 'till the amp gets here.
    Adolfredo

10. Anybody tried the Iamp with avatars?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    scot,

the avatar speakers are fine if you're on a budget, but if you sprung for the iAMP, i think you should at least use something that'll treat the EA sound right.

but hey, the Avatar use good construction and nice sounding stock speakers. dont expect anythng too low rumbling, since the 2x10's only go down to a palty 50 hz, yet, they do the job.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    EPIFANI damn it!! My new iAMP 800 sounds absolutely stellar into the T410. The GS112 stack is too muddy for me - the iAMP has so much bass, it's just crazy - and the iAMP seems to really bring out the bad sounding aguilar tweeter.

Bergantinos just seem way too polite and smooth for my taste. Don't care for them.

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thats what I like about bergs. You can get smooth, clean and ugly just by changing your bass or pre/head. They do what is asked and sound damm good at it.

14. I have an iAmp 800 also.

My vote would be Bergie EX-112 on top and Aguilar GS112 on the bottom. Something like this but without the middle cab :)

[​IMG]

disclaimer: Unfortunately the WT-400, Bergie, Kydd and Surine don't belong to me.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ***??? a new 800 head?!?!?

Van you slut...

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    well not exactly new, but i got it used on ebay. was DOA. EA honored the warrantee, and i have a beautiful fixed 800 that sounds amazing!

would you believe... MORE bass than 680/728!

(but it still doesn't sound as good)

what an amazing full range sound - and it makes sense why EA cabs should sound great with it. the head is pretty dark (although VERY clear and tight) - the brightness of the cabs i'm sure are a wonderful match as is the Epi. THe aggie cabs sound quite thick and muted.

Joker, calling ME a slut? HOW MANY AMPS have you bought in the past 6 months???? :D :D

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    umm... errr.. no comment... :meh: :p :oops:

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That really does sound like a match made in heaven, there! I would love to hear that rig.

Van, you mentioned elsewhere that you preferred the iAMP 800 to Walter Woods. As I am considering picking up either an iAMP 800 or a Wally Ultra one of these days (confirmed gear slut, here!), can you tell me in what ways you preferred the iAMP to WW? I know that the EA has a ton of features that Walter's don't have (tuner, XLR out, etc.), but do you prefer the iAMP on its sonic merits as well? Details, details!

Thanks, Tom.

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I was actually speaking solely of the sonic merits - features are one thing, but since i'm not a knob twiddler and don't mind carrying a direct box, i rarely care about features.

The differences between the WW and the iAMP really surprised me. In the past, reading what was said on here led me to believe that they woul be quite similar - but to my ears they were very different, and seemed to be designed with completely different applications in mind.

The EA was a shocker - i've tried EA cabs but not heads, and sold them because they were too bright and too bassy - but keep in mind I wasn't putting enough power into them. The EA amp was incredibly dark and bassy, but extremely clear and tight as well. I don't think I've ever heard low notes like that coming out of a GS112, it was pretty amazing. However I found it quite lacking in the high end unless I eq'd it (i know, so eq it, duh) and brought out the worst in the Aggie tweeter. All in all however, an addictive amp to play (especially through the Epifani) and I can see why all those studio guys play it - it gives a VERY clear, clean, articulate and tight sound - not the grit i'm used to with the Aguilar DB680 - and by dammed you can hear every nuance, WITHOUT being bright or brittle. You know how you go into the studio and immediately turn down the treble on your amp, but you end up turning it back up for definition? Not with this amp - the definition is there, but the clack is not. In a band setting, I turned down the 60hz - just became overpowering!

By comparison, the WW was a touch more sterile, but not in that sick kind of way - more like just less warmth and bass. The WW reminded me a lot of the Avalon U5, but not quite as smooth. I bet WW amps sound incredible through Bergie cabs. The sound is overly clear, bright, and incredibly articulate. Unlike the EA which was dark and thick while being clear, the WW was REALLY clear, like going into the board but a lot warmer clear. We're all used to getting that sound with headphones, but this was through a cab! No wonder upright guys (the anti-slabs) love this amp - it gives you the sound of your bass and nothing else - almost like what it sounds like unamplified, but brighter (not in a bad way).

The EA's darker sound seems like it would be perfect with it's bright cabs - and the WW would be perfect with a more traditional cabinet. The intended speaker application might just be the difference! (although yes, i know people use WW with EA and whatever all the time)

I know this is going to piss some people off, but the EA was amazing while recording, and the WW sounded amazing live. The EA also would be a great choice for those of you who love the "full range" or "hifi" sound. The WW is for people who are completely in love with the sound of their bass (and have more money than muscles :)) :D

All in all, I liked the iAMP because it made me want to play. In the end, that's what makes it or breaks it for me. There's only a couple pieces of amp gear that have done that for me - so far its: Aguilar DB680/DB728, Epifani cabinets, and now the iAMP 800!

Let me know if you have specific questions about the sound... like Joker, I love talking about gear :D :D

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Van:

Thanks for the reply! That's just what I was looking for. You are probably right, in that it comes down to the specific cabs you are using, the instrument in question, and the application (recording vs. live, etc.). In my case, I'd say that I am more concerned about live sound (as I already have some good tried and true recording gear), but from what you said about low end, the iAMP might be better in some live settings. Although admittedly, I do find a lot of rooms that get too boomy onstage, and I have to turn my low end down, still, it is nice to have the thundering lows when you can get away with it.:bassist:

I was probably most interested in using an iAMP or a Wally Ultra with my EA VL-208's (which if you haven't heard them, the VL-series cabs are nowhere near as bright on the real high end as the newer CxL series) or with my Epi T-112's & T-110UL. I know that the WW Ultra has 50% more headroom, but from your experience, does that translate into more volume and/or better tone? It sounds like the iAMP may be the better route for strong low end performance. I am guessing that either of these amps (with a little tweaking, if necessary) could sound great (with the right cab) on upright bass. So, if we presume that either would work there, which one do you think would do a better job of handling high volume electric bass scenarios?

Thanks, Tom.