Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cabs for Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dedmyers, Feb 12, 2004.

1. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I just bought the Walkabout and am in the market for used cabs. What do you guys (or girls) recommend?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I recommend posting in amps.

Heehee!! Zing!
    :hyper:

Perhaps you should check into the Walkabout cabs Boogie makes for them. Pretty cool!

3. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    Crap,
    I really didn't mean to put this her - Im a moron. Sorry, How do I move it? :help:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    let the mods do it.

but i'll recommend Aguilar stuff. one 1x12 makes for a great little rig. and add another for a nice loud rig.

if you've got the moolah, go for an Epifani of some sort. another sweet sounding cab that complements the Epi gear. then again, an Epi cab could make a cardboard box sound good. ;)

if you're on the cheap, why not a nice little cab from Dave at www.avatarspeakers.com or www.drbasscabinets.com

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The Acme 2 x 10 get's my vote.

Cliff

6. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I have the Walkabout and the Mesa 600 M pulse and use Bergantino's Ht210 and Ht115 and it's heaven..

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Bag End... once you go Bag End, you don't go back... end :p

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Done. And, by the way - Bag End. :)

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would love to try a Walkabout with a Euphonic Audio VL 108. That would be the ultimate in portability. Is the Walkabout a highcurrent amp like say a Walter Woods?

10. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Yeah, we were just setting up for a gig - and - Bag End. Definately. S15-D sounds s w e e t . . . .

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used my Walkabout to push a number of different cabs, and in general, it's going to sound as good as (if not better than) any other 300 watt (or so) head into any cab. At one practice place, I use it to drive a Peavey 1820 (loaded with a Madison 18" and two Selenium 10"s - sounds pretty good!) and a Mesa Boogie Diesel Powerhouse, Jr. (4x8 & 1x12). That's a lot of cone surface area to move, and it does just fine. Much louder than you'd expect out of 300w. I have used it with my VL-series EA cabs, but to be honest, they do like more juice. A VL-108 might be a different story though. It pairs up fantastic with my Wizzy 1x12, which being 4 ohm gets the full 300w.

[​IMG]
    And then there are the cabs that I first bought to use with the Walkabout, my Epifani T-112 and T-110UL. The Epi's also respond very well to much more headroom (particularly two T-112's), but this combo sounds surprisingly good with the Walkabout's 300w.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps, Tom.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Tom,
    Thanks for the response! I'm glad that someone here has tried the Walkabout with EA cabs. I have a CXL-110 combo with another CXL-110 cab as my main rig right now. I'd like to buy the Walkabout to give my a tube preamp option that I don't have with the iAmp 350. I more or less just have the VL-108 just sitting now that I have added the other CXL cab, so I think I can use the Walkabout with the VL-108 for my portable rig. It's a PITA to lug around that CXL-110 combo which has got to weigh about 5o lbs or so. I think I can get an endorsement price on the Walkabout, so I just may pull the trigger and get one soon.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Glad to help! I would think that the Walkabout would pair up well with one or two CxL-110's, as well. If you do pick one up, let me know how you like it compared to the iAMP 350.

Tom.

14. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I made a road trip this weekend and found two used GS112's for $500 total (for both). Im thinking about going back this week and picking them up. What do you guys think about that price?

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That seems pretty good. When I was considering GS112's, I only found a handful of used cabs being sold for less than $300, so if they are both in good condition, that's probably going to be hard to beat.

Tom.

16. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have a CXL110 for sale. I just bought it last week, but it's a NOS original CXL thats made of birch. 2 of those with the Walkabout would be sweet.

17. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    That's a good price, but you may be disappointed in them after being used to EA cabs. There always seems to be a lot of used Aguilar 1x12" cabs. There's 4 on BassGear and a couple on eBay. You rarely see the other big name 1x12" cabs on the used market. Yes, there are probably more Aggie cabs out there because they are lower priced, but still if they are good cabs all the more reason people should be keeping them, not trying to give them away(at $500 a pair this guy is obviously looking to dump them). Avatar are low priced cabs also and I don't see as many of their 1x12" cabs on the used market as the Aguilars. That should tell you something. You also need to consider that if you do buy them and don't like them you have to compete with all the other used Aggie cabs to get rid of them.

BTW, for those of you that like your Aggie's, nothing personal. Just stating reality.