Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Cheap Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dhwood40, Oct 13, 2003.

1. dhwood40

dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    Virginia
    Looking for a decent acoustic for a practice bass. I wanted opinions on a couple of models, the Applause, Johnson, and Dean. I want to keep it under $500.

Also, I'm concerned about the width of the neck. I like them fairly narrow (kinda like a S'dg'r 4 string).

Anything and everything will be a great help.

2. I own a guild, but I have recorded an Applause. They are thin sounding. The price is right though.

Applause AE140 is about $360.00 new!

There are more at Acoustic Bass Menu

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How far under $500.00? Squires and Johnsons sound really boxy. Some guys here like Carlo Robellis. Ibanez and Fender make models that fit into that range, as well as Michael Kelly. I purchased a Tobias 5 string from MusicYo.com that I am pleased with (and gig with.)You may be able to find an Olympia in that neighborhood. Play as many as you can-adjustments aren't as easy as with an electric.

4. You might find a Carvin AC-40 for that amount - try ebay, or the for sale boards.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like the deeper-bodied Deans. Also, the Olympia is worth a serious look, or a used Thunderchief.

One thing with all the ABGs, particularly the less expensive ones: play it before you buy! Just like acoustic guitars, there's a lot of individual sample variation.

6. Did you decide on an acoustic yet?

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. dhwood40

dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    Virginia
    No I haven't made any decision yet. You guys have been more than helpful though. I'll have to go to Guitar Center this weekend and play a bunch. I'm very surprised at some of the comments though. I'd always thought Ovation was one of the best you could buy, boy are there strong opinions on that.

I'm really interested in two that were suggested. The Ibanez-I've always been partial to their necks, and the Carlo Robelli -who I'd never heard of before. If there's any more I missed.....

8. Here's a list of ACOUSTIC BASSES

There are a few not listed. I thought you might want to consider-Takamine EG512C Acoustic Bass.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Good call. I really like my Takamine. I'm not sure if it's the same model you listed. I also think the ABG's sound alot better with the Labella black tape wounds instead of the phosphor bronze strings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have had a crapload, and very few I actually liked.

The Tacoma and the Martin are the best. I don't even think the Taylors run with those two. Oh yeah, the Guilds are pretty nice.

Fender and Hohners have some decent projection to them, but still a little thin. Better than the competition though.

But right now I have a Kramer Ferrington. Some people say its the ugliesg ABG there is. I think it rocks. good projection, about like my old Tacoma.

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I think those are over the price limit of $500 in the first post

12. dhwood40

dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    Virginia
    Wow Treena, that's a great site. And I definitely found the one I have to have. How do you think that pink pixie 4 string will sound? JK!!!

Seriously I appreciate all the help, and I will look into the Takamine.

13. I do not like the color pink but that's just me!

I wonder what pink SOUNDS like!

I believe it's wise to have a good list of possibilities before you make a purchase. This will let you keep your mind open to the sound of each instrument you try out!

Keep in touch and let us know what you decide on!

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Treena, where do get all those smilies and how do you post them?

15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    A used thunderchief will surface for under 500. The martins, you are right.