Best cheap bass you ever played/owned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blast_tyrant, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I have been reading the thread on the worst high-end basses people have ever played/owned. I don't know if there's a thread that addresses this, but what about the best cheap bass you ever played?

In the 70s, a friend had a Univox copy of what appeared to be a Mosrite bass. That thing played better than 90 percent of the basses I've ever picked up and had pretty good tone as well. And it wasn't just me. Nearly everyone that played it asked if it was for sale. He eventually sold it for more than twice what he paid for it and he regrets selling it to this very day. (He owns two very nice Precisions, a vintage Danelectro, an Epiphone Rumblekat, a Reverend, a Stingray, and an original Steinberger from the early 80s.

On a related note, another friend had a Univox copy of a Les Paul Junior that he upgraded with a DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup. It was also amazing, so much so, it was stolen a few years back.
  2. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    some old Epiphone w/ upgraded EMGs, followed by my current GSR200, and in last place (as in worst) - a Squier Jazz (but not by much, just craftsmanship errors).
  3. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    I don't know if this qualifies, but I have an early eighties Yamaha BB1200S that I didn't pay very much for that plays and sounds better than the Ken Smith it replaces. Neck through, active pre and I'm sure I payed less than 500 for it.
  4. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Squire P/J. I played $170 for it, and after throwing in an Aggie pre, it sounded great!
  5. My second bass was one of those Westone Thunder II's and it was a fantastic instrument for the price - $300AUD.

I'd still have it except that my thieving brother pawned it to buy drugs - bastard!!

That was many, many years ago however. I'm sure that the OLP's & SX's of today are far superior for their price. I am amazed at the quality of these entry level basses today.
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had a Steinberger Spirit 5-string that I got from MusicYo for around $270. It was a great little bass! Very solid, good sounding passive EMG's and easy to take around. And love that price!

The funny thing about that bass, I ended up trading it in for a Fender Jazz. Sam Ash gave me over $300 bucks for it!! Talk about making some easy money!!
  7. SX, followed closely by a Greg Bennet Samick Fairlane.
  8. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    My old Peavy Dynabass with active pickups and EQ.
  9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Ibanez GSR200. $200. Great thin fast neck. Decent P pickup. It's also got a J pickup in the bridge position. Much better fit and finish than anything else in the price range. Light, well balanced, and it plays really well. (Assuming you set it up correctly for your preferred height.)
  10. add another one to the Gsr200 by ibanez. it was my first bass and played it for three year until i decided i wanted something better. it was a fine bass, and although it did sound kinda on the cheaper end, it was not, by any means, a bad bass.... at least not by my standards
  11. FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Ibanez ATK 5. They no longer make these, but it is basically a Music Man Stingray rip-off with a Triple-coil pickup, and a monster bridge that looks like something from a telecaster. Has some vintage mojo and you can find them on Ebay.
  12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Schecter Model T.

Both the passive one and the DeLeo sig with active EMG's.
  13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    My new SX SPJ-62 Ash. I love this bass. :hyper: :D
  14. I bought a CAR P-Bass clone parts bass assembled by a fellow who sold them via the HC classifieds. I had him put in a Fender Original '62 P-Bass pickup. I think it cost me $250. After a while, I decided I wanted a wider (1.75") P-neck so I bought one on e-Bay for about $30 (there was nothing wrong with the original neck). Anyway, the thing looks great, plays great and it really delivers the fat, vintage P-Bass tone (especially through a tube amp)...all for $280. It's my #2 and it sees a lot of stage time.
  15. Fender fury IV active, not too bad for the money but I have loads of gas for a five string.
  16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    80s Ibanez Roadstar I got for $100
  17. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Peavey Millennium 5 BXP passive. $220 - great bass for the $. Still have this puppy - may decide to spend some bux and hot-rod it. Any suggestions?
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk the OLP MM2's are very good for the money.
  19. Squire P Bass - Good starter Bass
    I decided to change the strings and put on DR Stainless Hi Beams. Sounds better than my friends Fender :bassist:
  20. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    US Masters EP41, awesome P bass tone and only $325 shipped.