1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cheap beginner's shortscale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thylacine Dream, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I ended up switching from guitar to bass years ago, when my dad decided to try bass, picked up a starter Ibby Soundgear, and had it all-but-stolen when I started messing around with it and had way more fun than I ever could on guitar.

Then it was actually stolen, when it was left outside for a bit due to a miscommunication between us during bustling family holiday stuff, but it was really my fault. I obviously need to replace it, and I was thinking of doing so with a shortscale (probably with flats), so that he'd have an easier start and actually pick the thing up and play now and again, which he didn't do even when I got my own bass.

The stolen bass was $100 originally, I'm willing to spend more on the replacement to make it something he'll plausibly learn on and have fun with, but I am broke broke broke and leaving for college soon, so what are some good models that are cheap without sucking? Both new and used is fine, I got all excited about a Hamer Slammer on CL but the guy never responded to my email and the listing eventually disappeared. Again, easy playability is the thing I'm after most of all, hence a shortscale, probably. Thanks!

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's pretty hard to beat the Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar SS. They are very easy to play and sound great.
    With the current Fender rebate, they are available new for less than $150.

3. BobbyXIII

BobbyXIII

Dec 11, 2011
    The Squier Mustangs are pretty rad....

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You can't go wrong with this bass.

5. I love my SS Jag. Beware, the red ones are a bear to find.

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Not sure if they still make them, but I picked up a short scale cort a few ears back for not much over $100. Sounded and plaed surprisingly well for the money (although I can't compare to an others).

Worth looking at if they're still around or pop up used.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Squiers are good basses.

Personally, I think the Gretsch 2202 is better made, and I guaran-damn-tee you the pickup in the 2202 is one of the best sounding on the market. You can find these for around $150 in beautiful condition used, and it's a great short scale bass.

PB070023.

8. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Ibanez Mikro, used that until... yesterday (a year) when I got my first REAL bass (ESP LTD F-155DX) 28" scale, it has a J pickup and a P pickup. My definition of the perfect beginner bass, now I can handle the big boy >:D

9. Well, don't limit yourself to short scale basses, in any case.

10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm not gonna swing towards any company. Play any short scales you can get your hands on and make your decision from there. Have the techs set up each instrument before you play to get a good idea of how it's gonna feel

11. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I've never been able to find one of those. :crying:

I broke down and got a Squier Bronco for $60 and
    put a P bass pup I had and a few few other goodies
    I had on hand, along with filing and dressing the frets.
    Now it is a very nice bass for real cheap,

12-17-2.

Tabdog

12. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Danelectro Dano 63 short scale. Great little bass for not a lot of money!

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Another one for the Jag SS.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA

Definitely this.

I've played one that's used at the church I go to and it is fantastic.

Great tone and plays great. I'm considering picking up one for myself.

:D

Joe.

15. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I was gonna suggest Dano too for something different, but they feel like toys to some people, like me. Squier (or even a Squire, if you can find one) would feel more instrument-like.

16. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Went with an Ibanez Mikro for my kiddo for Christmas. I've not run across the Jag short scales yet.

17. I own both the Gretsch and the Squier Jag SS. Both are good, but very different sounding basses.

I've gigged with the Gretsch exclusively several times.

18. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    If you can deal with a 32" scale, an Aria Pro II CSB or TSB model is hard to Beat! I find these for $100 - 200 routinely on Ebay, CL, and even TB from time to time. Actually I'm wrapping up a deal on a CSB-450 Black & Gold for $150.

19. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The Cort Action Bass Junior is about $200 or so new. If you're looking for a single pickup MusicMan tone that's the one to get. I use mine in a Journey Tribute band.