1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best cheap combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easternbull, May 9, 2010.

1. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Looking for something small and afordable to mostly use in my home studio and for the odd jam. no dealer with theses options near enough to try out:

-KUSTOM DE200-115
    -LINE6 LOWDOWN STUDIO 110
    -GALLIEN KRUEGER BACKLINE 112 II
    -ORANGE CRUSH PIX 50BX

I play an Ibanez atk300 and have mostly used a line6 pod for recording before, sold all of my gear last october now I'm geting back into playing again. No giggs just recording/jamming.

I guess I play prog/fusion style of music,

bands/basstones I like: tool, kyuss, love 70´s fusion but I'm not after a jaco sound.

Cheers

2. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    its not on your list but i like the crate bt-100, their cheap they perform ok. i got one for jamming and its about perfect for that. down side is its like 60lbs but id recomend one

3. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    thanks for the tip bluesman, not many online dealers in europe carry crate but I will give them a look.

Any other recomendations, Ive been looking for small tube or hybrid combos. The dealer with the best prices in europe is thomann.de and they also carry ampeg and ashdown amps to name a few..

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Also, check out the Acoustic combos.

5. Dumps

Dumps

May 5, 2010
    Lawrence, Kansas
    i have an Ashdown Electric Blue 180, that i use as a practice amp that suits me just fine. i've even gigged with it a few times because it's easy to lug around, and has a built in DI. Decent Eq as well and a built in Octaver that's decently thick. i think i paid $300 for it.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

recording -- go direct.. use modelers or tone shaping DI boxes..

jam amps.. something that kicks back with a DI

7. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Thanx a lot for the tips!

Thomann has the

GALLIEN KRUEGER MB115

and the

FENDER RUMBLE 75

The fender is dirt cheap at 237 €, the GK is 399€ both afordable. Like I said I've mostly used the line6models and got a great sound the atk's tone is very "bright", so I'm looking for a warmer sounding amp, any comments on the tone of the GK and fender?

Thinking of adding somekind of line6 just for recording and getting one of the above mentioned combos for songwriting/practice/jamming.

Thanks again!

8. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    plus one on the Rumble 75

9. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Cheers,

Any feedback on the kustom DE 200-115 for 425€?

10. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Hi:

The Line6 Studio 110 doesn't get so much love here; I think that because of the fake simulated amps or w/e they are called they are viewed as more of a toy than real gear. But, FWIW, I love mine. I have almost all of my gear in the living room, including my gig rig (yeah, I'm that guy), and I still practice through the Line 6 quite a bit. In fact, I'm thinking about buying a second one, either to keep at work or to use with my other one for a "where is his amp??" rig. I think the "Rock" setting sounds great, and it gets pretty loud for what it is. And it sounds great. And it's cute.

IMO.

--Bomb :bassist:

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Behringer

I have a Behringer combo for my basement. I would never gig with it but for home studio it is great. It is the BX600. I think it is 60 watts and a 1x12 speaker.

12. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I went with the kustom DE 200 for 425€. not that many smallish tube combos out there and especially for that price. Will let you know how she works out.

Cheers

13. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    lol, picked the 1 combo everyone that had replied to has avoided commenting on.

14. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Good point mcapote, but I could not find another small tube combo for that price!? After starting out on solidstate gear 12 years ago and switching to line6 gear I just wanted to try this type of setup..

15. Depending on your budget, you could have a Fender Bassman 150 or 100 pretty cheap these days, but not as cheap as the Rumble. Also, around 500$, there's the Marshall MB60. I heard good things about it, even that it keeps up with a moderate drummer. It's an hybrid amp if it's interresting for you.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Or, get all of this (minus kick-back feature) in one box with the Roland Cube 100. Its DI is pre/post EQ and models, which makes it a great recording amp, and it's loud enough for jam sessions. The GK MB115 would be better for jamming and gigs, and possibly better for recording with a microphone, but for direct recording the Roland is great. I tried mic recording with it once too, and was happy with the results using an Audix D4.

By modern standards, it's a little heavy and underpowered for the price, but it still offers useful features lacking on many others and is much louder than the 100 watt rating indicates.

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    For the OP's goals, I personally, have found the Roland Cube100 the most fun-n-flexible li'l combo.

18. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Fender Rumble 15 or 210