Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cheap guitar for heavy riffs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tristan, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm looking for a guitar with a bridge humbucker (either ssh or hh, i don't care) and fixed bridge. I'd like to spend around $400CDN.

People on talkbass know where the deals is at for basses, so what are the sleeper guitars i should check out?

Thanks
    Tristan

2. Go to ebay and check out some of the older Electra guitars, especially their set-neck Les Paul copies. Made in the 70's and 80's, the quality is pretty darn good for a Japanese-made guitar. Their MPC line had effects built-in to the guitar, but I would shoot for an Omega without the MPC stuff myself..... Their bolt-ons are pretty good too, I've got a Phoenix.

For more information check out this Electra site:
    http://www.herons.ca/electra/

Unfortunately the older Electra Les Paul copies are getting to be quite popular among collectors.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Look for a low end Ibanez RG. They are great guitars for rock and there are dual humbucker models.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto this.

I know I'll flambed here, but even some of the Schecters do OK with a lot of distortion.

Also, Yamaha made a crapload of different guitars, lots of discontiuned but sort of cool models to be found used.

edit, almost forgot, used epiphone les paul always seemed a good cheapo heavy guitar choice.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Used Ibanez, used Epi Les Paul, used Squier HM Strat(japanese or mexican) are great guitars for the price.

New, you could look at the Agile Les Paul copies at rondomusic.bigstep.com

6. I have a Cort M-200, and it's great. It was about $200, but I put a set of used Epiphone humbuckers in it, and now it sounds phenominal. If you put better pups in it, I'm sure that it would sound even better. If plays great, almost as well as a Gibson Les Paul, but it lacks a little in sustain, which actually makes it a better rythym guitar.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Metal... $400?

Ibanez
    ESP
    Jackson

dont get mo metal dan dat.

8. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    thanks a lot guys. just out of curiosity, are there any other sleeper guitars if i was just looking for a good electric axe for a low price? (not necessarily heavy duty)

9. If you want teh real chugga chugga tone go for a Telecaster.

10. ha...guitar bashing never gets old:)

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Get a Les-Paul style guitar, just because they own. Drop a set of Epi or Gibson pups in it, and it'd scream.
    I've a Zakk Wylde Les Paul, and I'm always half afraid to pick the damn thing up, it's just that hot!
    Ray

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I'm primarily a guitarist, but I don't really know what to recommend for $400 Canadian- is that about $250 American?

There just really aren't many choices that are worth having. If you could do $400 American, I agree the Ibanez RG would be worth looking at, or you might be able to get into a used MIJ/MIM Fender.

At $250, maybe the Steinberger Spirits, or the MIK ESPs.

13. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I had a squire bullet strat (an older model with one sweet spot humbucker) that chugged, it wasnt good for much else though... but that could also be because i suck at guitar.

14. you sound like you're a Gibson/Epi Salesman.

15. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Agreed, they make a 7 string version which is cool and cheap.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ESP. A lot of the real monsters out there use them.

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I got to agree with the pro Ibanez people here. I think they're great guitars and a mid-range RG or S Series guitar will get plenty heavy.

18. If it's mainly for messing around, why not just get any cheap guitar and put a nasty humbucker in the bridge position?