Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cheap ish 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know not many non expensive 5 strings exist, but something around $400-$600 new. I look to be buying a used 5 string as soon as i sell my Hohner and get money... probably $350 for the bass used? Any good ones? Tight B string would be a plus. Non narrow string spacing.

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Spector NS2000 Q5. 35" scale and they play extremely well for the money.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea someone here was selling one of those for $300 and i was interested but then i havent heard back from him. O well. Looks like a very nice bass.

4. What's the point of moving up in such small increments? Maybe you should save up and get something that you won't need to upgrade again in a few months.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not really upgrading, im just fulfilling my mini needs. I have a fretless that does me good, i have a 4 string that does me good, and i want a decent 5'er. I dont plan on buying an uber 4 string or w/e for a few years.

6. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    Have you tried the Godin freeway 5 string? I got mine new for about $600 Canadian, and I really like it. Try to see if you can try one out, I really enjoy mine.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe well i assume ill like it since its basicaly same bass as my Godin SD cept boy shape.. if i can find one used in my price range id give it a go.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
  9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup, EMG HZ's and the Spector Pre amp...I almost bought one yesterday. It was on sale for $400.00.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You might also consider a Rockbass Corvette.

11. MTD Kingston 5.. blows away most anything else in its price range. I got mine off of ebay for $300 used.

12. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Ibanez BTB 405
    Yes, MTD.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

String spacing is pretty narrow on the Spectors.

Check out an MTD Kingston. Wide spacing, great B string, very nice for the price.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmmm the MTD Kingston sounds nice. Ill definitely look into it once i get the $.

15. I've got a Mexican Fender 5-string and I'm very happy about it. Bought it new for about 500 euro's. Also got a Cort 5-string (fretless), same story.

16. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I picked this Ibanez BTB405QM up from The Bass Place last week for $429.00 new in box. They don't have it on their website, you have to call them. I am very happy with it. Great string spacing excellent tone, tight B and the Amber finish is awesome!!

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice finish on that BTB, much nicer than that ;purple/blue shade IMO although tahts nice too.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 string that I got for $400 about 4 years ago and I love it. Great sounding EMG HZ pickups, 35" scale, solid hardware, 5 piece maple/walnut laminate neck. Really fine, and it´s been reliable as heck, never had a problem with it. I think they have nicer quilt top models well within your price range.

[​IMG]

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have a Yamaha BBN5 that I bought used for $200. I put some bartolinis in it and it sounds really nice! Light weight, warm punchy growly sound, looks good.

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you can find a Dillion 5-string MM copy (usually on ebay) for the right price, you might want to consider that. Not saying it's necessarily any better than any of the other ideas mentioned here - just tossing another possibility out there.

I have one and it's a well-made bass for the money. I'm actually considering selling it (haven't made up my mind for sure yet).