Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Cheap Overdrive Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xsogol, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Digitech Bad Monkey

47.4%
  2. DOD 250

26.3%
  3. Other

26.3%
  1. Based on the overdrive thread that full_bleed posted:

OD Decision

which of these two relatively cheap overdrive effects:

- Digitech Bad Monkey
    - DOD 250

give you the best bang for the buck (and why if you can elaborate)? Thanks! :bassist:

P.S. If you have another cheap overdrive option, please tell us.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Both are credited as being good. If you could, try to get your hands on both of them to see which one you like better.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dod250 is a great circuit, and can be had for almost no cash at all.

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i like the ibanez phat hed... its a bit more versatile but also a bit more noisy.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like my DT Bass Driver.

6. ingo62

ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    Some people like the "Big Muff" for bass.
    I like my Akai "Unibass" very much, not cheap (even used) but great ;)

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'll give you the "other" option....turn your amps to eleven...it's one more ya know?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    DOD 250 or Ibanez PD-7

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Actually I have the Ibanez PD-7...love it. With its options I can dial in mild grinding overdrive or full out fuzz and distortion. Also you can play with it's clean channel and you have a small EQ/boost pedal. I got mine used for $50 and still see them everywhere for that price.

10. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Bad Monkey all the way. I tried the DOD250 and allthough I liked the OD tone, it hissed too much through my tweeter, made a loud noise when switching, and sucked out low end.

I tried the BM at the advice of someone on this board (can't remember who) and my OD search was over. The tone was similar the 250 (maybe not as wide range of distortion) but what I liked was that the pedal is silent through my rig, no unwanted hissing and the low EQ is great for compensating any bass freq. lost.

I think the Bad Monkey is also "Active Bass" friendly ... but it may not be your choice if you want a wide array of OD/Distortion sounds (for that I would get the PD-7)

Plus I still never got used to the dod not having an LED. After about 8 beers and 3 sets, the LED on the BM comes in handy!

:eek:

Please try it out before writing it off! I believe I paid like $40 at GC .....

11. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I bought a DOD 250 based on the recommendations here, and I'm kind of split on it. The low frequencies are noticeably reduced when the gain is up high (And, imo, the sound is pretty rubbish :p), though I think it sounds pretty good used as a very light overdrive.

Strangely enough, I bought a Bad Monkey on eBay about 12 hours ago with the intention of replacing my DOD 250, so I shall let you know what I think when it arrives.

12. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Ibanez PD-7 Phat Head ;)