1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best cheap starter guitar to fool around with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by morf, Apr 1, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'm looking for a playable, decent sounding electric quitar mostly to have fun on, do tapping, cool bends like jimi, etc. I've looked around a bit but to the few guitarists or people that know anything about guitars here, what would you recommend, say, at 200 bucks max?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Japanese Telecaster. MIJ Squiers are quite nice for the price - certain 80's models tend to be bit pricy these days, but the 90's models are dirt cheap.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get yourself a used Mexican Fender. It's my #1 and only electric guitar and is wonderful. I throw on a few bucks in better parts every once in a while, but it's a quality instrument as is.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Agile AL-2000.

I've got one with a 3TS spalted top...a bit heavy, but sounds great...a bit bassy too on the neck pup.

5. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'll look all those up, thanks for the ideas, my guitarist of a brother showed me some funky stuff and I just have to get good at it now :D

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Cort make pretty decent starter guitars...

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    [​IMG]

One of these sounds like a possible winner.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm with Minger.

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Pawn shops are great places to hit up. I recently found an Alvarez telecaster copy for $150 that's a lot better than any sort of squire would be, probably better than a mexican fender, it also has the three pickup configuration. Alvarez doesn't have the fender name so as nice of a guitar as it is, they can't be sold for much. For a few years they made strats and teles. The main things to look for is are the frets worn, does the neck have any significant bends in it, does it sound like there are any ground problems, do the tuning machines seem to hold the tension, and the stuff you probably know from looking at basses. For tapping and stuff you might want to look at a strat copy rather than a tele, those are more popular as far as that stuff goes. Used is the way I'd go.