Best cheap wide 6 to defret?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I want a wide-spaced fretless 6 string. I can't afford a nice new one. I'm considering getting a cheap(Ibanez, Cort, etc.) 6 and defretting it. I'm just leary of putting time, effort, & my wife's money into it & not getting the required amount of 'mwaaahhh'. Any suggestions/experiences/highjack attempts?
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

I was gonna say that.

Or you could pick up a used ibanez CHEAP on evilbay, but I would have a local luthier defret it for you unless you are sure you could do it without messing up the Fingerboard.

But all that together = the price of a new Brice...
  4. No legitimate reason not to, I guess. They do seem to be well-liked around these parts. I think I have a preconceived 'cheap-POS' label attached to them, whereas w/Ibanez or Cort, it's more like, 'cheap-but-I-like-the-looks-& don't-mind-slightly-'butchering-it'. That & I don't really like the looks(of the Brice.
    As far as defretting, I've done it- poorly, with no info. I have read up on it since, & I'd like to redeem myself, so to speak. The ideal bass would be a hammered TRB-6, structurally sound, maybe w/shot electronics- I never like the stock preamp, but the bass is nice.
    Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Brice are pretty good IMHO. But I mean for that price there friggin GREAT!!!!!

If you really like it, and start playing it more and more, and eventually get a little more money, Pop in some new Pups and a New pre-amp and That is gonna be one hot bass..

But If you do get it you HAVE to replace the string right away, They have little "Sharp" parts all over 'em (There strings are pos)
  6. Yeah, my Rebop came w/poop strings. I guess when you're talkin' volume, a few bucks per bass can allow the sellers to give it to us cheap & still rake it in.
  7. I've been eyeballing the Brices- not too shabby looking. Available unlined- good. Pretty wide- even better. Funkize, how thick(front-to-back)is the neck? Actual dimensions will likely scare me; how does it feel to you? Do they balance as well as I imagine(darned good)?
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The neck is (for me) not Thick (I HATE thick necks) But NOT thin... It meets an "Acceptable" medium (For me) As for actual demention's I dont know, I havent had the bass for awhile now (IT was my First Fretless 6 too!) The balance is pretty good, and it feelt really light. The Fingerboard is usually pretty good, but there quality controll is not that great, but there great customer service overide's that problem.

I would say go for it, you wont be dissapointed.

Also do a search in the forum, Lots of Glowing review about them.

Due the play up to par with a Nordstrand or a Dingwall? Of course not. Are they WELL worth the money? Hell yah.
  9. Thanks. I have a fretted Stambaugh 6, so I'm pretty spoiled. I also play a decent-B-string-equipped Jazz 5 & a MIJ P bass,though, so I'm not a complete snob.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hate it when people defret. No matter how "professionally" done it is, unless you're talking about replacing the fingerboard, it always amounts to a butcher hack job.

Reasons not to defret:
    (1) Completely destroy any monetary value of the instrument. You may say "I don't care" but someday you'll want the thing out of your closet and nobody will want to buy it.
    (2) Side dots are in the wrong place. On a proper fretless bass, the side dots are at the note locations. Whether lined or unlined, this always makes it easy to see where you are unless the stage is absolutely dark. These dots are much brighter than fretlines. Some basses have the dots between the note locations, but that is the exception, not the norm. Once you get used to playing a "defretted" fretless, you'll have a difficult time adjusting to a "intended" fretless should you want to upgrade or change basses in the future.
    (3) Large front dots on a fretless neck look awful. We can argue the aesthetics of lined or unlined 'till the cows come home but no-one, even the biggest lined fretless advocate on this board is going to stand up and say big dots on a converted fretboard look anything but HIDEOUS. I know they were good enough for Jaco....
    (4) You compromise the integrity of the neck. Minor concern, the frets only stick in 1/8" or less of an inch, but still, Who would buy a fretless with 1/8" deep grooves in the neck????

There is absolutely no reason to defret any bass when Rondo and others offer so many choices for such reasonable prices.
  11. 1. Monetary value- that's why I said 'cheapest'. Resale value is a small point(for me)on this subject. If nobody wants to buy it, mabe I'll just have to play it.
    2. I don't look at the side dots. I have an upright, & my current fretless as well as the 3 others I've had, were unlined- that's just what I like. I'm not bragging, I can play a lined bass as poorly as unlined. As far as getting used to/adjusting to 'intended' fretless vs 'hacked', been there, etc.
    3. Agreed. I for the most part don't like dots on the face of most basses, but on this, looks are, shall we say, 'opposite day'?
    4. On my truly butchered self-done defret, I filled the slots w/maple, touching up gaps w/gap-filling super glue. As ugly as that poor abused former musical instrument is, it sounds very nice. Lastly, I don't expect anyone to want this thing in the future, but feel free to make an offer!

GODSBASSMAN Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Don't forget the value of " I have done it". DYI feels pretty good if the project does not cost too much. Defret a squire but not a ken smith or F bass. (If no one buys it in the future and the cost was low, wood burns nicely in the winter potbellied stove if needed - watch out for paint fumes, can be toxic, though). Above all have FUN, ENJOY the fruits of your labor.
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    No offense intended to Phil here, but he often posts this message when people bring up defretting, and usually gets rebuked by people that have done successful jobs of it themselves. I am one of those people. I defretted my first bass, and Ibanez GSR200. It turned out great, and the bass sounds and plays better than it did before. A cheap ibanez is a good candidate I think.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I wont knock Phil's, but I will say I've done with this with much success, just by reading the de-fretting thread in the setup forum. Take your time, especially so with pulling the frets, as this is the most likely place you can screw up a fingerboard. Just to note as well, Ibanez doesnt seem to glue in their frets (most people dont), so taking them out is fairly painless. I used a butter knife to get just the very edge of the fret to come up, then used fretpullers from stewmac to ease them out from there.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The flipside is the value of "I have completely fu¢ked it up" and "I have ruined it". I've personally done both, and no longer do mods. There are professionals who always do it right. However, I did learn a lot along the way, and that is valuable knowledge.
  15. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    I LOVE MY BIG DOTS ON MY JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i mean i love them)
  16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Out of curiousity what is the string spacing at the bridge on this bass? The thread was for a "wide" string spacing and from glancing at it, I am not sure that it has at least 19 mm spacing. Anyone own this sucker?