1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cheaper P/J set up bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 20, 2009.

1. So the other day i played a friend of mine's Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass and fell in love with the p/j pickup set-up. I immediatly went to musician's friend and grew disheartened when i saw that they go for $900. While the body (of the bass, not my friend), was so different from what i was use to and did indeed feel awesome, it was the pickup set up i enjoyed the most i think.

So, with my budget being about $500 max... what is the best p/j set up i can get? I am looking at a Squire Standard P-bass Special but i truly am in the dark in regards to what is out there... Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
  3. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Yamaha BB414. They are awesome!

4. Buy used out of the classifieds. You may be able to find an aerodyne for $500, and can definitely find a Mexican P Bass Special.

Aerodyne's are under appreciated in my opinion. Great sounding, lightweight bass.

5. Yamaha RBX 270.

6. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 on the Yammie!

7. +1 IMO it's hard to beat the bang per buck

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  9. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the Squier from 1999 and I like it a lot. I think they might have gone to alnico since then, so I can't speak too much about the new models. I think Ibanez also has a couple of models with P/J in the GSR series.

10. Wow... at $100 though i am skeptical... but intrigued.

And i am CERTAINLY covered for ampage... Kustom200 and Sunn Concert bass into and old Ampeg 2x15 and an unknown 6x10

I am checking the used section on here... but my work censors pictures hosted from photo bucket so i can't see any at the moment.

Those Yamahas DO look nice as well.......

So, are the Squire Standard Specials a waste then?

And... pardon my ignorance... how/where can i go to look at Mexican Fenders?

11. Just go to fender's website. They have a list of all of their current product line over there.

12. GOLGOTHAN

GOLGOTHAN Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    i have the squier standard series P bass special

[​IMG]

i love it! of course i threw in a basslines hot for p bass and hot jazz stack in there as well as a set of chromes...the pots are 500k, really bright, so the chromes mellow it out a bit. the bass was 250 the pickups about 150 and the strings 30... its my new favorite bass!
    BTW the pickup cavities had to be just slightly enlarged to fit the jazz. score the finish with a razor and tap out the extra mm or so on each side with a chisel... and off you go!

13. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    How is the string-to-pole alignment on your jazz pickup? When I put the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in mine, I got the neck size pickup to get the alignment right. The spacing on the bridge size pickup was too wide. Did you get the neck or bridge size? Instead of widening the cavity, I had to widen the portion for the "shoulders" because they were closer together than the stock pickup.

14. Wow, thanks for all the replies :D

That Aerodyne in the FS section is hella nice, but... ashamed to say... the colors don't really work for me. I know I know...

However...

I just scored a Craigs List Squire Standard Special for.... :drum roll: ... $60!!!

But... I am still weighing my options... and a Black Fender Aerodyne is now officially on my GAS list :bassist:

15. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    i also thought zodiac when i read thread title. although i've never played one i've heard they're nice.

might be tough to find, but old godin BG-IVs are pj config in soapbar shape. they're emgs, so active, but if you dig that sound and can find one its a great bass for the dough.

16. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    I got my Aerodyne on Ebay for $400. With the case.
    I would look around, you can find used ones pretty cheap on the 'bay.

17. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Get an SX.

For under $200 total, I got a nice bass, some nice pups, a wiring kit, and a gig bag all shipped to my door.

An hour of work later I had the best sounding bass I've ever owned, and it feels pretty nice too.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    These are really nice. I'd grab this myself if I had room for another bass!