1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cheating Double bass studio sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kas_lar, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Everybody.
    I'm a pro bassplayer/ composer in logic 9 looking for the best upright sound for studio work (within a budget)

What do you guys advice me to look for? I've got a P bass and Jazzbass and a Stingray, but these doesn't come close to the full sound of a DB. Logic has a so and so Upright bass sound which is okay, but I'm missing the feeling and touch on the midi keyboard.

Some has told me to look into the AZola basses, should I?

Remember only the sound/bassplaying touch is important, Looks is not important...

Best regards
    Kasper

2. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Rob Allen Mouse - that's the only bass I've heard that comes seriously close. You can find a video of Dan Rasmussen playing one on Youtube, if memory serves me correctly, it gives a good idea of the sound.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
  4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This, and this alone, IMHO.

5. The Ashbory has a great sound, but I've found them to be a royal pain to play because the lines are confusing because the string is being bent past pitch by the time you bring the string to the fingerboard. My local shop stopped carrying them long ago because it was costing more to keep them strung than they were making in profit.

The Rob Allen Mouse 30 is great, although I've recently found that an MB2 with an active 2 band does a slightly better job. My Mouse 30 doesn't have the 2 band EQ, but it might be enhanced slightly in theory.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Only an upright sounds like an upright. An bass guitar might be passable if you bury the bass sound in a mix, but that's about it.

7. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    +1. It's more or less an acoustic orchestral stringed instrument vs. an electric guitar.

Besides, you'll never get the attack or percussive elements of an upright out of a bass guitar.

8. Electric bass guitars with magnetic pickups? Never. Piezos and tapewound strings? Quite possible.

9. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    fretless with low tension tapewounds over a piezo bridge. That's the secret to the rob allen mouse tone as well as the asbory (not tapes, but a soft material touching the bridge)

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

If you aren't intimidated by the number of strings, the cardboard box bass has a very convincing DB tone. It's cheap, sounds good, and it's easy to play. I gig one regularly.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation...not saying it's true, but it might be.

As much fun as the Ashbory is, aside from all its monumental hassles with rubber strings, I really don't think it sounds that much like an upright. That "percussive element" just isn't there.

It has "boing" rather than "bump," if that explanation makes any sense, which it probably doesn't. [shrug] :meh:

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Line 6 variax bass with it's built-in bass modeling. Clips sound pretty good on the wensite.

13. Godin A5 Fretless sounds close!

14. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    i have a Marco bass from spanish luthier. It do sound almost like an upright.
    Here is a short sample. It was recorded straight to the board.
    Will sound more beefy with good condenser mic

15. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    For various instrument stuff I actually make use of a midi controller into Logic. It is not the greatest but you can tweak the tone a bit.

I use a Yamaha EZAG (midi guitar) with a MIDI -> USB converter. I know it looks like a toy but it works surprisingly well. I think I got the controller, USB converter cable, and the power supply for under 300 bucks.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Makes perfect sense to me. And I mean no offense to any posters in this forum, but most people that I hear lay claim to having a bass guitar sound like an upright are rarely upright players themselves.

The attack and percussive elements of the upright are unique to instrument and do not translate to a bass guitar. I'm sure you can get close to the tone with quality piezos and effects processing - but the attack, note placement, etc just isn't close IMO. I was trying to explain this to my drummer the other day. He just didn't understand why I simply couldn't transfer all of our old bass guitar lines straight to my upright. But anyone who has played both for a reasonable amount of time understands.

Just my opinion.

17. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    I would try the P bass with tape wounds with a foam buffer under the strings at the bridge. Cheap trick if you have not tried it. Works for me.:hyper:

18. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow! Thanks everybody, I agree by the way. I've been playing electric bass for 13 years and I played a 50 year old upright from 2003 - 2006. I stopped because I never got calls on my upright. Now I'm composing more and recording acts in my small studio. Sometimes certain songs calls for the upright, and Logic's own sampled upright has done it so far, but you guys has certainly made a lot of good suggestions.
    Give me a few hours to look into them :)

BTW - I'm certain that you can't get a exact upright sound from a normal bass guitar.

19. +1 If you are doing a bass, sax, drum stright ahead trio, maybe not. However, for most other context, the average (and even above average) listener would never know the difference.

The Rob Allen Mouse, played appropriately, is closer than most of those 'electric uprights' that I've heard.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am sure that some of the electric uprights can get fairly close, with certain string/pickup configurations, but I do have throw my hat into the Rob Allen Mouse ring. I am amazed at how close you can get to the sound of an upright with one of these little gems.

Tom.