Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best choice for parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    So for Christmas, my dad ordered me an allparts jazz neck with a maple board and black block inlays because he knows I've been wanting to build a jazz bass. Now my only problem is finding the rest of the parts. I know exactly what I want it to be: blue body, black pickguard, dimarzio ultra jazzes, and all chrome hardware. Finding all that separately might cost a bit, so I'm wondering if it would be more worth it just to buy an SX and do a little part swapping. That way I've already got the hardware, wiring, and the body and I'd just switch necks, pickups, and pickguard. I'm assuming a standard J replacement neck would fit an SX.

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    permission to bump

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Regarding the SX, I'm sure that you could do that, but to be honest, you'd most likely end up changing out the pickups. I'm sure that you'd have no problem selling the neck on either TB or bassgear.com. You might want to contact Kurt at Rondo to see if he can sell you a body. The tuners aren't the best. The bridge works...standard Fender bent-plate style. If you go this route, figure 140 for the SX, 50 for a good bridge, 60 for good tuners, 100 bucks for pickups, 30 for a new nut, 70 bucks for a good fret leveling/dressing, 25 for a black guard, and you should have a smoking jazz for 475$! By the way, I have a 60s Fender decal for sale, if you're interested. PM me for details.

I had my fretless SX upgraded with cavity shielding, new Nordstrand SE jazz pickups, and a fingerboard leveling. It's ridiculous now. I will definitely change the nut to bone, swap the tuners and bridge, and I'll have a bass that kills production Fenders for less than 500 bucks!!
    The only other thing I'd need to do is get a hacksaw from Home Depot and saw off the extra wood from that new ridiculous headstock!! :eyebrow: :scowl:

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The main thing to me is the sound and playability. I'm getting the dimarzio ultra jazzes and my dad does fret jobs, so that will be taken care of. Tuners don't bother me as long as they stay in tune during my playing, and I use a pretty light touch. If they can at least accomplish that, the SX will give me a usable body, maybe bridge, tuners, knobs, jack and control plate. After building a fretless, I'm a little tired of part searching so I just want to get most of it taken care of in one purchase.