1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Chorus? Quiet, lush... deep... articulate?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbrock, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I realize this is a subjective question but I'm shopping chorus pedals and I'm curious what your opinions are on what the 'best' chorus is.

I would prefer one that doesn't muddy up my bottom end (but could possibly have that option if/when I might need it).

I also would prefer it to be as noiseless as possible and possibly true bypass. I don't want it to suck my tone when not in use.

My previous experience with Chorus pedals:

1. DigiTech Bass Multi Chorus - liked the sound it made but it would tone suck when bypassed and it could easily be overdriven (made a digital clipping type noise when I dug in on both my active and passive basses).

2. Zoom B2.1u - worked well but wasn't as lush or as deep as the DigiTech chorus but it worked. Regret selling this unit (to Chris aka Internal Affair).

3. Zoom 506II - I actually liked this chorus the best but this Zoom pedal was noisy (made a nasally 'aynnnnnnnnn' sound constantly when powered via wall wart).

I've narrowed down my rig, mainly due to funding issues, to just this:

Bass -> Sansamp RBI -> Power Amp -> Acme speakers

I would like the chorus to be able to sit between the bass and Sansamp but maybe also be used on my effects loop of my Sansamp.

Thanks for any and all input!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm sure you've read the many, many threads we've had on chorus before, right? Right? ;) FWIW there are only two fairly noiseless (yet good-sounding) choruses that I know of: the TC Electronic SCF, and one of the recent EHX models, I forget which one but Boo will remind us. :)

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The MXR M134 has a bass filter button that only applies the chorus effect to the higher frequencies. I have one and it works very well for keeping the bottom end from getting muddy. One of the best sounding choruses is the Fulltone Choralflange though it is $$.

JR

4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I hear the analogman chorus pedals are good but $$ ($225+ depending on mods). Have not test driven one. My old DOD bass chorus does good, but it is starting to show its age and milage. I got it in 95 some time it is in need of replacing.

5. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    TC Chorus for me.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    But I forgot, too. :atoz:

[looks at his pedalboard] ;)

It's the new EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. The chorus side is noise-free, as is the flanger side. :D

It's not a very "deep" or intense chorus, but it is noiseless, stereo, true-bypass, audible in a rock band setting, and sounds great. It IS digital, but I have not been able to overdrive it with my active EBMM Stingray, so that's a good sign. Seems to have a high threshold for hot inputs.

I used it at a gig recently with excellent results - but both the flanger and chorus were used together. I rarely run either side by itself.

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That one's also based on an EHX classic (the Small Clone).

How's the noise level on the Analogman? I've never seen any info on that, from what I can remember. After all, professional soundclips can hide some of that. :D

8. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    EHX small clone is a great sounding, decently priced pedal, make sure you give it a shot in your search.

9. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Take a listen: http://media.putfile.com/Chorus2-99

Quiet enough for jazzy playing. I'm not chorus expert, I haven't owned that many, but I think the Analogman is a great chorus.

10. No unwanted Noise of any sort. This pedal Does everything a Chorus pedal should do and without losing any bottom end or string definition. It simply adds a lush, rich, thick chorus to your bass without compromising any tone. and there's absolutely no pops or clicks when turned on or off...

I got myself an analogman mini-chorus with additional mix knob which acts as a wet/dry blend. This is my favorite pedal. Its my one pedal i have on most the time.

11. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another vote for the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. It took a bit for me to find my sweet spot, but the Flanger and Chrous combine for a very lush effect.

12. Mudshark23

Mudshark23

Jan 31, 2008
    SEATTLE
    while not having not tried any analogman pedals i have had 2 electric stereo mistresses, and i have to say the the best chorus for bass that i have heard by far is the EBS unichorus. I just picked one up 10 days ago to throw in my chain (now 7 pedals not including my line selector) for some recording and i have to say it's probably the highest quality pedal that i own, both in sound and build.

it sounds great in mono in either the chorus or flange mode (PM mode, imo, not so much) and sounds fantastic in stereo. there is little bass lost in the mix, either on or off.

additionally, the unichorus uniquely balances depth with subtlety while maintaining bass frequency integrity in a way that i have yet to hear in pedals made by any other company. compared to my EHX and boss pedals, it's like night and day.

i am not sure if it's true bypass, but if it isn't the signal buffers in the pedal are very clean and the pedals seems to boost the signal (either on or off) just a little bit without corrupting instrument tone.

the only catch is that it's 200 bucks, but i have to say that you definitely get what you pay for. after 10 days i'd have to say it's most certainly a keeper. check one out if you can, i'd like to hear how it compares to an analogman.

13. i wouldn't go for a model... but the feature to mix in the chorus amount compared to dry signal is beneficial... that is why i like my BOSS CEB3 it can dial in what frequencies will be chorused... but that doesn't make it my favorite chorus... i have a danelectro COOL CAT and it sounds amazing on bass(but its got some noise and it can be overdriven)
    i have a maxon CE550 on the way... will report on the results ;)

14. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I find that the EHX Small Clone retains bottom end and remains reasonably quiet live and in the studio. I have used it for the past couple of years.

15. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Might want to check into the Carl Martin Bass Chorus. I've owned a couple of their pedals (not the chorus), all very high quality, totally noiseless. Top quality stuff - IMO.

16. I have been on a quest for over a year to find the perfect chorus, when i find out i'll let you know.

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I forgot to mention that one! It is practically noiseless as well. However, I didn't like its thicker sounds...

I liked the results of the mild chorus, and loved the Pitch Modulation mode, but it was otherwise lacking, and didn't sound too pleasant when cranked. It seemed to get muddy on high depth settings. IMO, of course.

Mild seems to be what that one does best, from personal experience.

EDIT: I thought it was buffered bypass... their site says otherwise.

Maybe I was thinking of something else? :meh:

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I need to get a Mistress!!