Best coated string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by grungtertl, May 14, 2005.

1. grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    What is the best coated string out there...
    Elixer, D'addario EXP, DR Bootzilla, etc...
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've only tried Elixir and DAD EXPs. Both nice but I was put off the Elixirs by an "out of the box" dead E string which had nothing to do with the coating. After that I tried EXP's and it is now my string of choice. (By the way they're on a Mod Q5).
  3. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The only coated strings I've tried were Black Diamonds. They had a nice, well-rounded tone. But at times, they felt sticky.

I've messed around with a friend's acoustic guitar that was strung with Elixers, but they felt slimey. I would rather have the sticky feel of BD's than a slimey set of Elixers.

That said, plus the fact that I haven't played Elixer bass strings, I'm wondering, do they feel slimey?
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    IMHO best ones i have tried are elixir polyweb strings. their customer service is excellent. i had a few defective strings in the past few months, and they ALWAYS make good. i sent one string back two weeks ago, and they send me two free ones. no questions asked.

elixir nanoweb. tried these when i couldnt find ployweb. they feel more like regualr un coated strings, but still last a lot longer for me. i like the thicker coating of the poly because it last longer and doesnt fray off the strings as fast. if you play with a pick, i would suggest polyweb.

the d'addarios were toast after one show. coating peeled off after about an hour of playing them. where as elixirs coating holds up a lot better.

the black diamond. ugh. i was told about black diamond strings through just from most precious blood. he is sponsored by them. he told me to contact them about it. so i did. they sent me some freebies. i wasnt impressed. very mid range sounding. sounded like my rig was honking. played one practice, one gig. after the practice, coating was coming off. after the show, strings were done for. besides the fact that i was just turned off by the company, the strings didnt make me wanna be sponsered by them. even if they were free.

i'd like to the DR coated strings, but i fear waisting my money, like i did with the d'addarios(which made me inraged).
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I found the elixirs too last longer then the D'ads as well.
  6. I have tried the GHS Infinity Steels and the Elixer Nanowebs.
    I presently use Elixer Nanoweb .050-.105's on my Jazz for good low end, excellent mids and high end and a little less growl on my Jazz due to the B and G string size.
  7. I just strung my Conklin GT5 with a set of DR Black Beauties yesterday. They're a little too bright for my taste when new. Feel a little rough also. I hope they tone down some when they settle in a bit. They look absolutely mahhhhvelous with the black hardware though.
  8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I love the DR black beauties...I really love the way they sound. They are on the bright side when brand new. but after a few hours of playing they fatten up on the low end. Personally think they feel great. Definitely look awesome. I only use DRs...used to play D'addarios (garbage IMO) tried a few others, once I tried DRs was hooked. Only negative is after some good use the black coating peels off and doesn't look so great.
  9. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    what does it mean when a string is coated?
  10. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    I play Elixers exclusively. (nanowebs)
    Great defined tone without lacking lows. (my low-B has never been this crisp-clear. The only bad thing is that the coating on my E-string is coming off which is a bit of a mess. But no really big effect to the tone yet)